correct safety gear when working with epoxy?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by magwas, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Herman

Herman Senior Member

On latex gloves: They keep your hands clean, but they are more or less transparent for some contents of the epoxy resin.

The MSDS clearly states the use of nitril gloves, which are somewhat more expensive.

For masks: many already have said: A2 for the possible fumes, and P3 for sanding.

Working clean is always the key. Do not spill, create a seperate easy to clean spot for weighing and mixing, and consider using an old fume extractor for mixing in fillers. Consider using Stewathix instead of fumed silica (Cab-O-Sil, Aerosil, etc). Much less airborne material.

2. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Latex gloves are no good , epoxy will penetrate them. Use heavy Nitrile gloves . I like out side forced air mask for lung protection . dont forget total body coverage . And that is just my opinion.

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

yeah go for it, ear defenders ?

4. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

i used west & sp for 20 years, no problems, then i used a virulent strain of italian epoxy called 10 / 10, & became sensitised, tried lots of creams but the one that works for me is olive oil, cover yourself in it, before & after, hands arms, face, head

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Lartex gloves, in addition to being inferior as epoxy shield, also cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Nitrile for sure are the way to go.

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Same goes for talcum powder, which can be present in any glove (latex, vinyl, nitril, etc). Small open wounds can get infected or irritated by talcum powder.

If you have the choice, go for powder free gloves. (most are)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.