correct propeller size and pitch for 90 hp

Discussion in 'Props' started by tint_champ, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tint_champ

tint_champ New Member

i have a 90 hp johnson 2 stroke 1994, weighs 300 lbs, 4500-5500 rpm range from manufac. will sit on flat bottomed boat (750 lbs) with tunnel hull for super skinny water fishing 1 to 2 feet, my load will be light(bag of ice, 6 pack, 2 total people and rods and anchor) and i know i need a 4 bladed prop for good hole shot and top end speed is not that important, most important is revs have to hit at the top of the range required for this motors rpms 5500. i have been told that 13.25 x 15 will do good. and i have also been told that other sizes will do well also. i need more practical answers rather than sales pitches. i called johnson and said every situation is different so can't recommend. i agree, but this is my situation as i have listed it on top and want experienced anglers to tell me their advice. thanks for your quick responses... mike

2. Pevito2

Pevito2 boat lover

you will have to try!

All of these propeller "guesses" are jus for an approximate measure. What really works is to take some 3 or 4 props, load the boat at the average you will be running, and test all the propellers. Choose the one that performs on the RPM you expect. This really works!

3. tint_champ

tint_champ New Member

hope the prop dealer can lend me 3 or 4 props to test, i know exactly what you mean, just wanted to see if someone had some similar applications as on my boat and lend me a pretty narrow suggestion, but your imput is highly appreciated, i think what someone also told me was to begin with aluminum and try and get the best rpms to hit the 5500 max and depending on what the answer was, to just buy the ss one and keep the aluminum as a solid backup. your answer is appreciated, thanks, mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.