Coronado15 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 5monkeys, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

It's heavy, but one person can move it around by lifting one end at a time.

2. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

This stuff isn't the least expensive, but it can save a ton of time, mess, and aggravation. It's also a great product that is hard to reproduce (almost impossible) at home. I tried out a couple tubes, but mixed most of the thickened epoxy myself because I was used to the process. However, if you have to get a lot of work done in one afternoon, this type of epoxy product is a great value.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64347&familyName=TotalBoat+Thixo+2:1+Epoxy+System

Attached Files:

3. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

This is a good deal on epoxy. It's the three quart "kit" and it should easily be enough for your project. Depending on the temperature of your work area (at the time the epoxy work starts) you might consider the slow hardener for warm temps, and the fast hardener for cool temps. I also ordered fiberglass from this supplier. From 10 ounce cloth I cut all the pieces, but your project might be good with all fiberglass "tape." It would be much less cutting and much less mess (big time saver too.)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I bought the 3qt kit of ducky poxy:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/supplies/epoxy/duckypoxy/

It sounds like it's less toxic to work with and isn't as likely to go exothermic...

I also bought a 50 yd roll of 4" 9oz tape.

I was wondering if I might need to add something for the fillets or if the Epoxy would be enough.

5. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

For sure, the fillets are a big deal. That's what that Thixio stuff is good for. However, you have plenty of epoxy to mix your own batches of thick stuff. Yeah, making fillets and also bedding in the new compression post (top and bottom) is all about thickened epoxy.

6. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I thought I'd show a bit more about how I moved the boat around. Under the hull is a big piece of cardboard. Because the garage floor is painted, the boat slides around fairly easy.
    [​IMG]

Now that access to the interior of your hull is at it's best, and you have plenty of epoxy, there are a couple other projects worth considering. The screws that attach the barney post to the sole of the cockpit will eventually pull out (epoxy can fix this.) Mine pulled apart while out sailing, and it's not the coolest. The repair that followed was over-engineered; it can be done much easier.
    [​IMG]

Along those same lines: The centerboard gasket screws are below the waterline, and should definitely be addressed. If all the screws were backed out half way (just about until their points were below the level of the inside of the hull,) that area (along both sides of the board trunk) could be coated with epoxy; it would help to make things water tight. Tighten the screws right away and some epoxy should now be into the threads.

Here some of the screw tips can be seen along the trunk past that reinforcement plate.
    [​IMG]

7. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

This kind of thing is life saver. It's inexpensive and noticeably tougher than the previous model. Of coarse, next time I'm getting a nicer one. This is the Li3100.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/_Clas...zvnkVpaw1ispRNnT35FzqzJrdyapo0mbFQPC4538l5g==

That model was discontinued supposedly and here is the new machine. According to the B&D website, it can be had with a cutting attachment.
    BLACK+DECKER BDCS30C 4-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Rechargeable LED Screwdriver - - Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/BDCS30C-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Rechargeable-Screwdriver/dp/B00TM2T940/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

8. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I don't see the picture, but I've walked by this thing a dozen times and thought "this is the perfect thing for a boat project. It's in the paint department at Lowe's, and it's a telescoping handle for a paint roller. Just the thing for applying epoxy to the hard to reach screws and the barney post area.

9. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

By the way, I tell you how much fun this is for me.:D

It's like I get to build another C15, and I don't have to do any of the work.:D

10. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

It works for me too, cause I'm not in it alone.. I haven't done anything with the boat this week. We got something like 2 feet of snow over the weekend, so when I wasn't shoveling I put my efforts into the master bathroom that I've been putting in for like 8 months now... I can make any project last a lifetime. That said the bathroom is near completion. The good news for the boat project is that the box the new toilet came in might make a great bulkhead template. :) Thanks for sticking with me on this..

11. beady

beady Junior Member

thanks for the photos my "new" boat is in the garage and I just starting the process.

12. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Hello beady. Good to hear from you. Do you have a C15?

13. beady

beady Junior Member

Sail 2736 new owner

Yes just picked it up the C15 a couple of weeks ago. The boat I have had the hatch cover removed and took on water as it sat outside. I just started to pull out the bulkhead and remover the mast step support which was rotted just like everyone else. The centerboard trunk appears to be ok but have not had the boat in the water yet 10F as I write this. Has anybody else had problems with the centerboard trunk leaking?

14. beady

beady Junior Member

One more question. Does anyone have pictures of the hiking straps? The boat I have they were removed. I looked on the Catalina website and the dimensions of the ones listed seem to be wrong. Dimensions and routing photos would be great.

15. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Yeah, the centerboard trunk can leak. It can break just like anything else. If you get a chance, post some pictures. Somehow, a forum like this is only interesting if there's pictures.