Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

A quick question... Does anyone have a desert dish that can be cooked on a single burner non-pressurised alcohol cook top, or a hooded BBQ?

I'm looking for options beyond a Tarte de Pommes a la Normande, which can be started in a skillet on a hob and finished in a hooded BBQ, before being turned out on a plate.

The usual suspects like, pancakes, filloas, palacsinta, blintz, panqueques, and crapes that can be done in a skillet, robust cookies and rather dry brownies done in the BBQ , I can make happen, with ease.

Various crumbles and bakes that just don't work well in a hooded BBQ, I have already tried and given up on. Perhaps you have the secret?

I'm hoping one of you might have a left-of-centre favourite or proven recipe, other than the grumpy old man, who no doubt will suggest stale mouldy bread, yet again as the only tenable "real mans meal".

I'm desperately trying to avoid cooking a sponge cake or a pavlova in the BBQ, which I think I can do, but I feel is so tragically 70's. Apologies to those still addicted to their flared jeans, body suits and ABBA albums.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. hoytedow

Oh, you meant dessert? Maybe pudding or S'mores.

4. hoytedow

Apples in butter with cinnamon are good. Simple yet tasty.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

This may be getting carried away, but if you have a couple of pans that fit inside each other you might consider some sort of steamed pudding or cake.

I used to make a steamed coffee cake. It was basically a standard vanilla recipe, with raspberry jam spread over the top. Convection currents would pull the jam through the batter during the cooking, leaving people to wonder how I managed to create those beautiful raspberry swirls in the finished cake.

add: it may not be so far out there after all, now that I think about it. Steamed puddings show up on the Captain's table fairly regularly in Patrick O'Brian's historical Aubry-Maturin series, set in the British Navy during the early 1800's. Look up recipes for plum duff and spotted dick...

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Creme brulee on the BBQ is nice,with a bit of smoky essence.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

How would you go about preparing it on a BBQ? My experience is limited to one dinner with a friend of my wife a few years ago. Her husband served creme brulee as dessert, in a theatrical presentation where he used a miniature blow torch at the dinner table to caramelize the top of each serving.

It was very good. He had obviously done it many times before, and he was immensely proud of himself. But may I never sink so far into the crowd that my desperate cry for individuality focuses on my ability to blow-torch a dessert....:(

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Same as an oven,just offset.And carmelize how they did it in the old days-with a very hot cast salamander.
    I have a kamado,if there is still heat I'll open it up to 800 F.
    But usually use a torch.

I make it with a touch of chipotle,or lemon ginger,even just a teeny hint of green curry makes it interesting.
    Just don't overdo it.

9. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Oh dear, I'll have to hang my head in shame as I too, have wielded a culinary torch, though not at the dining table.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why not throw some petrol on it and set it on fire?

Actually Ive tried this and it makes it taste funny.

11. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Speaking of smoky essences. I had an outstanding but accidental win some months ago.

I didn't bother to share it at the time as its not really a recipe.

I needed to warm some milk for a potato mash. Since we were on the trailer sailor and the single burner hob was already in use, I used the BBQ that was preheating for rib-eye.

I added onion, garlic, bay leaves, whole pepper corns, a pinch of salt, and the leaves of a celery stalk to a small quantity of milk. I left the milk to warm and promptly forgot about it until I needed to prepare the mash.

I strained the milk for use in the mash. The result was a flavourful smoke infused mash which I have since made time and again to serve with charred beef and lamb.

The smoky flavour of the mash seems to elevate the charred meat. Nothing more than boiled green beans as a side is required.

12. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Wow, I remember as a youngster watching a cooking show, where Paul Bocuse added a mountain of sugar to a boule and then landed the hot underside of a frying pan onto the ramekin to caramelise the sugar.

I remember thinking, he is going to be in so much trouble for doing that. It did not occur to my young mind that his mother did not do his dishes.

13. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

In fact Troy, you're right on the money. Unfortunately, Heinz and a few other manufacturers make a very convenient and rather good shelf stable long-life tinned spotted dick.

So I need to look a little harder for something at least equal in taste and interesting enough to try and cook.

I have the French apple tart as my backup... but.

A lemon curd pop tart is very doable even in a BBQ, but who would want to make an English flaky puff pastry from scratch even if it has just three ingredients?

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The sad part wasn't that he wielded a torch, but that he considered it his claim to fame....

The doctored-milk-on-the-BBQ thing for mashed potatoes sounds good. I'll have to give it a try..

15. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I've always thought that BLTs were Manna and even though I am a cheap SOBoater I have recently been using a bacon by Wright (since 1922 yet!) that goes for $7.50 for 20 oz (at Wallyworld). It is their Bourbon BBQ flavor. Makes the best BLT I have ever tasted.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.