Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Speaking solely for myself, I really don't give a fsck for your opinion on this topic, or when I think about it, on any other I've seen you post on in the last 6 months.

Why don't you cast off your shore lines (and delusions) and go off sailing?

PDW

1 person likes this.
  2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

have you got a favorite marinade recipe frosty. if you are annoyed don't look at the thread as mentioned by others. and by the way, i have had some excellent meals cooked on the back of a boat 100 miles out to sea, there are plenty of calm days.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Shame on you. According to Frosty, you're supposed to suffer when you're at at sea....:p

I used to work with a guy who felt the same way about camping. He was horrified when he found out I carry an air mattress in my Jeep, and told me 'the whole point of going camping is to rough it.' I told him that if the point of Jeeping and camping is to sleep on rocks and twigs, I could stay home and do it in my back yard.... no sense driving miles into the desert first.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well said --the feeling is mutual. Its a world wide forum. Your on an Island not well known for intellect -- and we will have different feelings about many things. Is this difficult to understand.

As usual my point is twisted. When the sky turns black and your 600miles offshore not 600yds dont tell me you go down below and start looking for fresh basil and turmeric.

Even the most lubberly of you would think that maybe there is something else to do.

But then most here are dreaming anyway.

Yes I have posted in depth my favorite marinade 'beer on bread' --did you not read it . Ive sat on the back deck with food lovingly made and what does that do apart from take a crew member to clean up, wash up and stow away I dont know of any seas 'Offshore' where most of the food would remain on a table.

You don't hold hands and go to bed thinking ille clean up in the morning.

The thread lacks sanity, experience and professionalism. Food on a boat is hand held --a bowl of soup so it does'nt contaminate the cockpit foor where people have to stand. I don't captain boats so sloppy and ive never been to sea without being captain. I run a tight ship anyone found laughng or even smiling will be flogged.

Thats why I sail alone.....

5. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Are you 600 miles offshore typing this?
    Do you never ever dock?

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

So what's wrong with digging out the fresh basil and turmeric when you aren't 600 miles offshore with the sky turning black? What if you're 600 miles offshore and the weather is perfect?

You keep carrying on like there's something morally reprehensible about the very idea of cooking tasty food at sea.....

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You missed a bit --I put a bit more on you may want to complain about.

Your right, it does sound a bit like that but I stand my ground that if I want to cook ide stay at home.

I dont like the threads title either 'cooking aboard or outdoors ' like they were similar in some way.

With that I rest my case.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im sorry I had to comment on this. Your friend did not say you must sleep on rocks and twigs,---did he,-- but you have made it sound that he had. Its part of the fun to gather stuff to use.

Im sure you could collect up some dry grass and keep well away from the rocks and twigs but hey--- never let a bit of embellishment stand in the way of a good story to make your point.

I don't do much sea work any more but I did in my last boat,--- 65 foot sloop at 34 tons. There was no days 600miles out that food would stay on any table.

No, go one I tell a lie --there may have been one night that might have. But I don't allow lights below or my night vision will be affected.

You forgot about that too didnt you.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

There are similarities: they both involve cooking outside the kitchen, without the usual access to ingredients, seasonings, cooking utensils, refrigeration and appliances.
    Reality check, Frosty: there isn't a whole lot of dried grass to be collected for bedding in the middle of the desert. You know... because it's a desert?:p:p:p

There's many a sandy wash, where you can get pretty comfortable. But only a damn fool sleeps in a spot where you could get hit by a flash flood from a thunderstorm miles away, even with a clear sky over you. Not to mention the snakes and scorpions who like to hang out there, instead of on the rise overlooking it.

And since you mentioned lies, the one about there never being a day 600 miles offshore where food would stay on the table is a whopper. And even if it were true, what would it have to do with the average Joe who takes his boat out on weekends and holidays? As a matter of fact, you yourself seem to spend more time drinking in bars and fantasizing than you do passage-making. When's the last time you even cast off, much less wound up 600 miles offshore? Put a stopper in the macho nonsense....

I repeat the advice of previous posters: if you don't like this thread, just stay away. No one is forcing you to read it. Go read a comic book instead, or the ingredients list on a bottle of Worcestershire sauce, or something.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sounds to me like someone wanted to talk about and photo cooking on a boat forum so they chucked the word aboard in.

On board is one of the worst places to cook . Ive not seen even the most dedicated TV celebrity cheffs have a go at on board cooking ---(maybe they have tried it)

The dishes are too elaborate. James has admitted to wanting to build a boat with his husband, not that's not a typo.

But your right I don't like it, it makes me squirm..

Worcestershire sauce!!!! Ile bet you cant even say it.

11. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Grated sour apple and star anise seems to be quite popular with my motley bunch.

12. whitepointer23

what about all the people that cruise on the lakes here in gippsland, they don't see a wave over 2 ft high, should they be wearing life lines and gnawing on week old bread and spam.

13. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Just about the only thing you and I can actually agree on.

Building my boat was in part motivating enough to interest me in the difficulties of cooking aboard.

I've gone to considerable length and effort, even borrowing a friends trailer-sailor, to prove to myself that I can cook meals that look great, have high nutritional value and most importantly can be classified as one of three (cooked outdoors, cooked at anchor, or cooked under sail).

Without any false modesty, I think I've done quite well. So well in fact, that my cooking is quite likely to pop up more often in Cruising Helmsman magazine.

14. whitepointer23

hate to sound dumb, but where do you get sour apples.

15. J Feenstra

J Feenstra Junior Member

By asking youre local fruit farmer. I always use a type of apple called
    "Granny smith" it's a green apple and are great apples for cooking

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.