Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I like grits cooked till almost dry like corn bread. Couple of over easy eggs on top, and mix the yolks into the grits. A little tabasco and I'm revved up for the day.

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Thanks, Troy, but I am the best scone maker in the Southern Hemisphere.
    It's important to use good quality flour. We have a local brand that adjusts
    their product for seasonal variations in humidity.
    I use Gorbachev as a "cookie" cutter.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Have you ever tried just slicing sweet potatoes up and frying them crisp in butter? I learned that one from my mother-in-law... she used to eat them with breakfast instead of ordinary fried potatoes.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK. Sounds like you have the basic idea down pat, then. I'm not going to claim biscuits are fluffy like dinner rolls; they're definitely more substantial fare. But made properly, they're hardly 'heavy.'

I have a set of a dozen biscuit cutters ranging from 1" up to 3 1/2" in 1/4" increments, all nestled together in a flat round tin with an airtight lid. Hardly necessarily; I only use two of them. But I get a feeling of owning riches, every time I pull the tin out of the drawer and pop the lid to make biscuits....

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I'm somewhat shocked at the dietary habits of you all.

I may have a classic English fry-up breakfast once a month as a "treat", but but but.....wow :eek:

Hope you all have adequate medical insurance and/or live close to a hospital !!

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I like them creamy with butter, salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of garlic powder.

But like you I eat them with over-easy (or poached) eggs, and sometimes add Tabasco or some other hot sauce. Throw in some hot buttered toast on the side, and I'm good to go.

7. Yobarnacle

I'm 63 and in perfect health, thankyou. Recently had the cardiac test hooked up to a computer on an variable inclined treadmill. Doctor says my heart is strong as a horse. Lungs clear too. Thank the Lord. Maybe it's all those years breathing clean sea air far from land. But I also like to think I eat a balanced diet and live a balanced life. Moderation, commitment, and integrity are my mottos. Mainly I credit my wife. A happy, stable, long term relationship with a loving spouse is I believe the secret to a healthy life.

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

???? What's so unhealthy about sweet potatoes fried crisp?

And bacon gravy is basically just white sauce, made with bacon grease instead of butter and having the bacon cut up in it. Considering it only takes one slice of bacon per serving of bacon gravy, which is then spooned over a couple of biscuits, I'm not sure why you think that's so horrifying. It beats the heck out of a plate of fried eggs, several slices of bacon and a side of fried potatoes, healthwise.....

The secret to surviving the sort of food we're discussing is to eat moderate amounts of it as part of a balanced diet, and stay physically active.

9. Leo Lazauskas

Me too! I have a healthy 5 cups of coffee for breakfast, and about 15-20 per day.

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

+1. Aside from the clots in my leg (which had nothing whatsoever to do with diet), I'm healthy as a horse. As a matter of fact, I seem to be healthier than most folks I know who run around desperately trying to cut everything tasty and filling from their meals, while slavishly following the latest and greatest health food fads and advice.....:)

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

According to the latest headlines, you're dramatically cutting your chances of getting type 2 diabetes.....

12. Yobarnacle

My wife and I drink 30 to 40 cups of coffee per day each, and have for at least 30 years. It also inhibits cancer causing free radicals and cleans your guts. :D

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

As long as we're horrifying Ad Hoc with our unhealthy diets, I might as well toss in another booze recipe. For those who aren't familiar with them, a chelada is basically a tall Bloody Mary made with beer. Good in the morning; good for a hangover; good around a campfire as the sun goes down.

In a shaker, combine:

Juice of 1 lime
    1 oz of Clamato Juice
    dash of Worcester Sauce
    2 dashes Tabasco Habanero Sauce

Shake well, and pour into a tall glass rimmed with salt. Add ice, and fill with beer. Enjoy.

Don't even think of using light beer; it'll give the chelada a watery taste.

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Small cups, I hope. Otherwise i don't see how you can sleep without a catheter leading directly to the master bath...:D

15. Leo Lazauskas

Being able to laugh at yourself and the misfortunes of others helps too!

Damper is an Australian variation of a baked scone-like bread that is
    used to mop up gravy with roast meats. Some are very scone-like (in
    that butter is rubbed into the flour), others use baking soda to leaven it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damper_(food)

(Personally, I'd rather eat cardboard than that stuff.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.