Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You've never sat down to a breakfast or dinner table that included hot, flaky, tender southern biscuits? You've led a genuinely deprived existence, my man. My heart goes out to you.:(

I'd say the closest thing to them in your experience would be scones. But they aren't sweet. At most there's just a spoonful of sugar in the dough, to help them brown. Nor do we monkey with them by adding foreign objects such as dried berries, fruits, nuts or chocolate chips; we save that sort of thing for muffins. Biscuits are usually served straight from the oven, and people generally split them just enough to melt a pat of butter in the middle. A lot of folks also like a little honey with the butter, especially for breakfast or with fried chicken.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

That's me too...never seen them never heard of them.

For breakfast or with dinner?? :eek::eek::eek:

Most odd...

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That's a good recipe and a good picture, Yob.

Leo, when you make biscuit dough you mix the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening, butter or other fat with a pastry cutter or pair of butter knives. Then you add the wet ingredients, stir just enough to get everything wet, and knead just a few times. Then you roll or pat the dough out on a floured board or countertop, and cut out rounds with a biscuit cutter, water glass or soup can

It's important not to work the dough too much. Over-mixing or kneading it too well results in biscuits that are hard and leathery, instead of being moist, tender and flaky.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, they're a hot, unsweetened quick bread. Which makes them appropriate for any time of day...

For dinner I sometimes like to make them with a sourdough bread starter, and reduce or eliminate the baking powder.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

They look/sound veryyyyyyyy heavy. And these are 'side dishes'.!!!

Seems like a meal in itself....:eek:

7. Yobarnacle

Most americans probably buy refrigerator biscuits at supermarket. But homemade is best.
    Served with pork sausage/sage gravy and scrambled eggs for breakfast is a southern US tradition.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

there's not to many foods I just won't touch, but squash and sweat potato's are most definitely several of them Russet potato's yum, even basic Idaho white potato's but there's just something squash like about seat potato's I find unpalatable. Pumkin pie, no problem, down the hatch. I guess to each his/her own.

funny but I can eat sushi all day long, just not squash. I'd starve in a world of only squash.

oh well
    carry on

now grits I can slurp down like no ones business
    damn I love those things

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

No. Proper biscuits are light, flaky and tender, with a golden crust. They have a touch of puff pastry in them.

I'll admit I've eaten my share of bricks, though -- usually from some poor gal who was trying too hard, and mixed the dough to death.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I made bacon gravy this morning, and I'll admit I poured it over canned biscuits. The ones they sell today are very edible -- unlike the sad little white bread discs that came out of a can when I was a kid.... Of course those are still around too, if you're only willing to pay $.29 a can.

My wife's Aunt Loretta is in her nineties, and still cooks biscuits seven days a week. She makes them and sticks them in the oven while her coffee is brewinging. Then she sits down to enjoy her coffee. By the time she's done with her first cup, the biscuits are done. So she butters a couple of them, pours herself another cup of coffee, and calls breakfast good -- unless there's someone else around for her to feed, in which case she digs out the eggs and potatoes for them.

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I cut the canned biscuits in quarters and deep fry them and roll them in cinnamonized sugar. They are like donut holes.

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sounds like a heart attack on a plate Hoyt

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK. The little ones would be good for that, I guess. My wife buys the big flaky ones that have butter chips in the dough; they're pretty good.

Speaking of cinnamon sugar, we used to keep a jar of it around. My wife and I referred to Trish, a foster kid we took in when she was 13, as 'the Cinnamon Elf' because she'd wake up in the middle of the night, sneak into the kitchen, and make herself cinnamon toast.

She thought she was getting away with it because we were careful to never actually catch her, and she outgrew the habit eventually -- although she continued to love cinnamon toast for breakfast.

15. Yobarnacle

cinnamon butter on a juicy baked sweet potatoe is food for the gods.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.