Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

add: the link to Cutty's torta sandwich includes their recipe for pickled red onions. I've always used white onions and just marinated them in red wine vinegar, but this sounds good:

I assume that when they tell you to slice the onion 'from pole to pole,' they really mean you should slice it between the poles so you get rings (i.e., perpendicular to a line between the root and head of the onion)..... Otherwise you'll wind up with some odd-shaped onion slices.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

homemade piccalilli relish/slaw

2 cups finely shredded cabage
    1 cup finely shredded onion
    1 cup finely shredded bell pepper

heat 1 cup vinegar, half cup sugar, and 3 tablespoons turmeric in sauce pad. Mix the vegetables, and pour the sauce over. Refrigerate over night.
    great on sandwiches, especially pulled pork! :)

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Scrambled eggs

Fry cooked cubed ham, chopped onions and bell peppers together with Creole seasoning. Stir into eggs and fry. May top with salsa picante. Great as scrambled or as an omelet. :)

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Scrambled eggs are also good with pickled nopalitos (cut-up prickly pear cactus pads) and Mexican chorizo. Sometimes I'll fry potatoes with onions and bell or pasilla peppers, add the chorizo and nopalitos and stir until the chorizo is done, then scramble eggs into the mixture.

Hmm... just remembered I already posted something about this, way back in the thread. Oh well, I guess if it's worth saying it's worth repeating. And you might try the nopalitos salad in post # 37.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Same comment as the other posts: sounds good. :p

Matter of fact I just spent a few minutes rereading the last few posts, and suddenly I'm starving.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

A chicken stew I made on an electric hot plate, at work a couple of weeks ago,.

[​IMG]

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That one looks really good! :) :) :)

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That does look good. How did you season it?

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

With stuff like this, it's hard to say where the ingredients leave off and the seasonings begin. For example, I chopped in a small turnip to punch up the flavor, instead of using celery. Was that an ingredient or a seasoning?

Since I was just using a hot plate, I started with what I call 'pan-roasted garlic,' even though it isn't really roasted. I cooked a handful of peeled cloves very slowly in olive oil, until they had a skin and were soft inside. Then I squeezed them into the oil before browning the chicken pieces in it, added beer to simmer the chicken, then pulled the chicken out to cool while I added the vegetables (and some water) to the pot.

When the veggies were close to done I pulled the cooled chicken off the bone, returned it to the pot, and let everything simmer together for a while to meld the flavors.

At the same time I added the chicken I also added cilantro, crumbled in some dried japones (Japanese hot chiles), and added a healthy dose of Cajun spice mix. Near the end I stirred in a fat dollop of oyster sauce, and just a touch of soy sauce.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  10. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Jamie...What's the chance of getting Troy on your broadcast as a guest chef? he's has wonderful recipes! :)

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I can answer that one: the chances of Jamie getting me on a broadcast, where I'd have to try to sound like I know what I'm talking about when there might be real cooks listening, are somewhere between slim and none - and weighted heavily towards the 'none' end.:p

But thank you for the thought. You did start me thumbing back through the thread to see what recipes I've posted here in the past, and I wound up going, "ooh..... I haven't made red chile pork stew over fry bread (post #238) in a long time."

Guess what's for dinner tonight?

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK. Fry bread...

[​IMG]

with red chile pork stew over it.

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like much, but it's ridiculously filling. In real life the stew is a very nice red-brick color, but for some reason it washes out grey in the photo's. Maybe because of the fluorescent lighting? Anyway, my usual picture of food in the pot didn't look too appetizing, so I won't bother to post it.

But it tastes good anyway....

13. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

14. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Sorry I've been absent for so long.

The cafe, culinary school and the magazine have me rather busy.

The ultimate cooking aboard no fuss cob of bread.

3 cups of plain flour
    1 7g pack of dried yeast
    1 2/3 cups of warm water

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and ignore in a warm place for 12 hours.

Roll into a ball and pot it into a dutch oven and cook for 30 mins, remove lid and cook for a further 15 mins.

Knock cob, if it sound hollow, its done.

Attached Files:

15. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Playing catch-up for my absence, a gorgeous King Island rib eye with bone on, shoe string fries and a mushroom sauce.

Not sure if I already posted this one.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.