Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

In that case, you might not even need the Coke for the marinade... just go with bourbon, molasses and Bass pale ale, and save the bourbon and Coke for the chef.:D

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It can be eaten cold too and is just as good. The currents give it a sweet warm wine taste. It really doesnt resemble bread or butter when done.

A very popular dish in the coal mining impoverished towns of North England where no food was wasted.

Ide like you to try it and see what you think. Like I say its a Prince Charles favourite. If your unsure of my recipe you could google it and refine it a little. Its really easy to make.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Sounds tasty. Did you catch my earlier post about a type of bacon... Bourbon BBQ that I fell in love with?

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'll have to look around for some currants; all I remember seeing in the store are regular raisins or golden raisins (sultanas). But I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I missed that, or I've forgotten reading it. Is it in this thread?

6. lewisboats

yup... WAY back at #1485. for some reason I thought it wasn't that far back.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

It's a long thread....:p

I'll go read it now.

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Although I remember the threads on either side of this one, I missed it somehow. Sounds good. Maybe even good enough to get me back into Walmart now and then. But if it were at Kmart instead, I'd do without it....

9. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Frosty...some of the most disgusting food I have ever clapped eyes on came from that part of the world, and I ate it all with relish. Some of my most memorable breakfast experiences involved a pool of beans, eggs, tomatoes, bacon, and grease on a plate that I would have thought twice about scraping off into the pigs bucket, but I wolfed down like it was my last meal. Deprivation can inspire creative ways to satisfy the gourmand in all of us.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Same thing--sultanas or even sweet minced meat made by Robertsons.

Its not realy meat, though why its called minced meat is unkown. It was used to make mince pies (slang for eyes). Its minced fruit and suet. That makes the best puddings

Mince pies were traditionally left out on Christmas eve for a snack for Father Christmas or Santa Claus.

I love pies,---- I have a shirt somewhere to prove it.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A very popular medievil dish was Eel pie.

Take a dish/ pot 1 foot or so in Dia. rub the base with lard followed by rubbing garlic clove into the lard.

Take 2 good sized eels and chop them into 2 inch bits leaving on skin and bone. keep the heads. Rub the eel bits in mace pepper and salt and place in the bottom of the dish

Cut in half a handful of crab apples and put in the pot with apple vinegar. cover the top with pasty and stick the head into the pastry. cook in the oven ( no measurement there was'nt any)

One of Henry V111 favourites

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

He was a fan of decapitation was he?

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Only if the Catholic church got in his way. I can sympothyse with his frustration with it. Not long after he started the Church of England

Henry was an often visitor to the Isle of Dogs for his eels that were proliferous in the Thames in those days.

Isle of dogs was a very small Isand in the middle of the river. Im saying was --its still there. Not a Manhatton size.

Henry died of scipholous in his ear.

Please excuse my American spell checker it knows not what scifoluous is or proliferous and thinks I mean to write '*******'

14. lewisboats

1 raw egg well scrambled in bowl
    Cup of corn flakes
    brown sugar
    nutmeg and/or allspice
    2-4 bananas or plantains

Crush flakes to a coarse powder in a bag with rolling pin
    Add a handful of brown sugar and crush/mix with CF powder
    sprinkle some nutmeg/allspice in the bag

Slice bananas/plantains into 1/2" thick rounds or along the length (maybe 1/4'd lengthwise... I didn't try it)

Coat the slices in egg wash and dredge/shake in bag to coat thoroughly. Fry in hot oil for 30-45 seconds per side or if using fryer keep checking for dark golden brown. Let cool to just warm for full flavor.

Just tried this tonight and although the first batch got too dark the second came out perfect. Not too sweet unless you use well ripened bananas so pick your sweetness via banana ripeness. Maybe sprinkle some powdered sugar on top for presentation or serve with some vanilla ice cream or even pudding.

Poured the last of the egg wash in the hot oil and cooked up an amoebia looking thing but it was tasty!

15. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Not as good as the real thing, but near enough. A pesto made from dried basil as a dressing for stone fruit and parma ham.

2 tbsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tbsp dried basil
    1 tbsp crushed pine nuts (cashew nuts work well too)
    1 tbsp grated romano or parma cheese

Combine and set aside to allow basil to rehydrate and soften.

Stone fruit from a can, dried basil from a packet, long life cured ham in a cryovac self stable packet. No valuable cooler space required, so there is more room for beer.

Something tasty regardless of how many days sailing to the next supermarket is.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.