Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Polenta on a stick... No, Don't believe I've ever seen it on the menu or even a food cart at the fair.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Would you really be interested in her brother, if his breasts were big enough and floppy enough for that?

Never mind; sorry I asked. I don't think I want to hear what your 'unique' version would be....:(

3. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I was thinking about Troy's cremated chickens from a post long ago, and felt inspired to create a weekend cruise meal of substance. A sizzling skillet of roasted chicken maryland is a decent alternative to a roasted chicken which many of us just don't have the space for in our coolers on smaller boats.

A BBQ'd cut of chicken is hardly something to crow about, but, the sophisticated flavours of lemon, garlic and rosemary with a rich and silky cream finishing sauce, is. Watching heads pop up on other boats to leeward of your anchorage, envious of the aromas wafting from your BBQ, has it's own special appeal too.

Pat chicken maryland dry and season with cracked pepper and coarse salt, then marinade the chicken in the juice of 1 lemon and the peel and flesh quartered, 2 large garlic cloves crushed, 3 sprigs of rosemary, and a dash of oil.

Preheat BBQ to 180 deg C with hood down with an oiled skillet inside. Add some vegetables to the hot skillet and begin roasting with the hood down. When vegetables are par-cooked and caramelising, toss vegetables and remove chicken and rosemary from marinade and add them to the skillet, lightly browning skin side down to ensure a crispy skin before turning over. Close the hood and enjoy a glass or two of wine. I would recommend two, perhaps three.

When vegetables and chicken are done to your satisfaction add a drop of white wine to deglaze the skillet and a generous splash of cream to create a finishing sauce.

Serve when wine and cream have heated through and pan juices have combined.

Attached Files:

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

That does sound tasty. How long does sprig rosemary last? can you sub dried?

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have just eaten (Spelling is phonetic) quertio nam.

Thats Thia noodle soup and is subject your own interpretation , sold on the street side and equivalent to fish and chips it is cheap at 1 dollar a bowl with basil and, bean sprouts and cucumber.

I have just had a quertio nam with chicken with blanched broccoli. And red wine of course.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Sounds good, Frosty. But just reading about it, with no ingredients list or indication of how to cook it, doesn't do the rest of us much good....:(

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Now I'm hungry, just from reading that. Unfortunately I'm at work, and my food stash consists of a 15 oz can of Mexican sardines in tomato sauce with chile, a can of Dinty Moore's beef stew, a bag of rice, a bag of pinto beans, and a couple of clod steaks I picked up on the way in tonight. Plus assorted seasonings and spices, of course.

Maybe I'll go crazy, and order a pizza. After all, I'm a rich union guy.....;)

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

That is perfect Hoyt thats exactly correct and this food is available at hundreds of food vendors at the side of the road. Like I said you can do anything you want with it . I would say the only stable ingredient would be the chicken stock or beef or fish and you can do that with a stock cube.

10. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Dried rosemary can keep almost forever. I put rosemary sprigs in a take-away type container and it is good for at least a month. If the leaves have fallen off when I get around to using a sprig, I use the leaves only and discard the twig.

Cryovac'd chicken, the rind of preserved lemons, UHT cream and dried garlic flakes can be used to prepare this dish well into a cruise, when most anything fresh is getting sparse.

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I made one of my old standby's last night: steak with bourbon caramelized onions.

I thin-sliced and thoroughly caramelized a couple of onions in butter, and set them aside. Then I rubbed a 2 lb sirloin steak generously with salt and pepper, fried it in the same cast iron frying pan until it was medium rare, and set it aside.

I returned the onions to the pan, poured in about 1/2 cup of bourbon, and started reducing it. In between stirring that and keeping the bottom scraped, I cut the steak into thin strips. When the onions were wrapped in a heavy clinging bourbon sauce, I spooned everything over the steak strips....

That's all pretty standard; I've been doing it for years. But this time I added a scant teaspoon of unsulphured blackstrap molasses to the onions and bourbon. The experiment was pleasantly vindicated when the molasses intensified the flavors of onion and bourbon, without drawing attention to itself.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I made one of mine --bread and butter pudding also one of Prince Charles favourites.

Old bead buttered but not necessary,-- lay flat in a dish ( the bread not you) with a scattering of currents in between and pour on some milk and sugar with an egg in it,--about half a liter. Thing is the ingredient quantities are up to you. It always turns out edible.

Cook till a nice brown with crusty bits.

Warning this dish once started must be eaten and stopping eating it is unkown to this day. The most B&B pudding I ever ate is one metric tone.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I've heard of bread and butter pudding, but never was quite sure what it was. Sounds good....

14. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Made from the same loaf of mouldy bread your seem so keen on reminding us is the only "manly" foodstuff of the seas?

15. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

That sounds awesome... I've been tinkering with a bourbon and coke marinade for boneless short rib cuts for a while now... I think I've been missing a sufficient sugar component.

I figured the dish had enough sugar thanks to the coke.. Thanks for the insight.

I'll try again, with a little added sugar... Golden syrup or molasses should do the trick in the absence of refined white cane sugar and the added cooking time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.