Converting a Race Boat into a pleasure Boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Rick_K, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Jumped over to the left side of the boat and did the same..

Attached Files:

2. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

I than "capped" off the back have with a stepped cut piece that will attach the deck to the main floor.

Attached Files:

3. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Next every part gets wrapped in 1708 cloth and resined up for installation. But I'll be heading out of town for a week for work so the project will sit on hold.

4. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

Great pics! Thanks! Makes me wish I were the one working on a project like this instead of looking at the pictures on the computer... except for the itchy grinding :D But you're working on an awesome boat, so that should make it all worthwhile! Going quicker than it would for me too - can't wait to see the next progress update (no pressure, enjoy your trip but then we want to see more!) Thanks for sharing the pictures so far!

5. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Ok.. Back to work.

I took the bulkheads out and "pre-glassed them with 1708 cloth on both sides.

Attached Files:

6. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Once they were dry I scuffed them up so they could be attached to the hull.

I Used "Gunk" in the corners so I had a nice radius to keep air voids to a minimum. I started with 4 inch piece and went to 8 than 14. This gave me a solid bit into the hull and stringers.

Attached Files:

7. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Now I called in the expert "Bill"...

Bill felt building the tub walls outside the boat and glassing them on the back side would be much better and quicker.

First we glued and stapled the "tub" walls togther, than rounded all the edges were the glass will roll around the corners. (once again to help eliminate air voids)

Next the inside corners were filled with "Gunk" and rolled nice a pretty.

Attached Files:

8. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Next we pre-cut all the 1708 cloth and did one mass laying. small corners first than larger until we did the final sheet that covered the whole part (back side)

Attached Files:

9. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Yesterday I spent grinding a 6 inch lip around the cockpit. This will give the cloth that we will apply to the front something solid to bit to.

I than cleaned up the tub walls that we glassed the day before to slid them into place.

Than I built a temporary throttle/shifter box to get my seat position so I can build my seat bases next week.

Attached Files:

10. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

GREAT WORK. Keep the postings coming, I'm facinated by your project.
    Gives me some ideas about a future project so I can hardly wait to see yours finished.

11. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Ok back to the grind (so to speak)... work 45hrs a week and kids racing and playing travel soccor is talking up a most my free time.

Once the cock pit walls were built we set them in place, but first we "Gunked" up the parts were the new part would attach to the old part.

This was done to allow the cloth to roll into the corner keeping air voids to a minimum.

Fitting my 6'3 frame into a 14" wide sponson just plan sucked. I kept knocking off my mask and my goggles kept fogging up.. I think I was pretty stoned after 30min inside..

Attached Files:

12. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Next I ground the paint and surface to have a nice fresh area for the future glass to attach to.

Attached Files:

13. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

We next addressed the back corners near the seats. I felt this "Point" could cause a problem if we are ever hit or take a hard hit. Last thing I need is a broken shoulder blade.

I cut nice angle and caped it with 1/2 in plywood gunked down. Once the gunk drys I'll grind everything flush and clean.

Attached Files:

14. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

I than mocked up the dash panel than top. I needed to find out how far out I wanted to come to keep it comfortable and keep the cockpit as roomy as possible.

Attached Files:

15. Rick_K

Rick_K Junior Member

Next I placed the seat inside and started building the throttle counsel. I must have built 6 complete counsels with different angles and shapes, this took the most time trying to find the perfect combination of height and angle.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.