Convert No-EPA fuel tank to EPA

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Cacciatore, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Junior Member

Hi Guys , are there components to convert a No-EPA ''PERMANENT'' fuel tank to EPA ?
    The permanent tanks are in rotomolding plastic .

Thanks in advance

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

You are going to need to expound on the permanent tank in place. As far as I understand, the EPA approval is for a certain material and thickness. Basically, they want to stop fuel from escaping.

But, you can't change the plastic in a old plastic tank.

You can change the lines to something better.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Do you want to convert fittings, add a vapor recovery system, or decrease the permeability of the tank? Are the changes need for legal reasons?

4. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Junior Member

Thanks for reply. The reason is only to import European boat in U. S. A.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

bajansailor likes this.
  6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

David is right. However, some questions about the boat need to be answered. Is this a privately owned boat? Is the boat owner importing it for their own use? If so they may not have to upgrade it. Specifically if the boat was constructed before the EPA regulations went into affect and it is not being imported for the purpose of selling it, then it doesn't have to meet EPA evaporative fuel standards. However, if it is being imported for the purpose of sale then you need to talk to the Coast Guard about what changes you may have to make. email Jeff Ludwig at USCG HQ. jeffrey.a.ludwig@uscg.mil

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

And please let us know how you get on with the USCG. I would expect that if the boat was compliant with EU requirements when built, and was available for sale in the EU, that the USCG will have some system in place to handle this. But I've been wrong before. Fuel systems are one of the things they are supposed to be persnickety about.

8. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Junior Member

Thanks ,just sent an email to USCG . I will paste the reply on the matter. I suppose that Ike is right there will be a difference of procedure based on private importer and on U.S. local dealer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.