Convert Mercruiser 3.0 to use with Velvet Drives

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by bigdaddy023, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bigdaddy023

bigdaddy023 New Member

I am looking to use a Mercruiser 3.0LX (1995) engine with a 71C Velvet Drive (1.91:1). This is one of the few engines that will fit in the engine compartment and yet still have 35hp more than the original flat head six engines.
    It could be as simple (as if) as finding a bell housing that will work at both ends. Any hints on where to find one would be appreciated.
    Or it could be as complicated as some drive shaft connecting the two or ???
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

You might compare the Bell housing Mounting patern on the 3.0 and the Sm Block GM V8,s. If you're real lucky and they are the same use a Sm blocK V8 Bell housing. (also fly wheel dia must be the same for starter hook-up)

Or an adpter plate between the 3.0 Engine and any Velvet Drive Bell housing could be fabricated. I happen to have a Velvet Drive (sm blk GM)Bell Housing which I would be willing to sell.

3. bigdaddy023

bigdaddy023 New Member

I have only done a quick eyeball of that possiblity and it looks like a close but no cigar option. I will do some accurate measurements and report back.

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Velvet Drive transmissions have bellhousings for just about any engine you can think of. The 3.0 uses the same as any other GM block.

6. bigdaddy023

bigdaddy023 New Member

Thank you

Thank you all for your helpful comments. A standard GM bell housing (providing there is room for the starter location) will fit on the 3.0 engine.

7. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Bell housings come for either a bottom mount starter(like a car) or top mount, which mounts the starter on the opposit side, over the transmission. I have a Top Mount Bellhousing for sale. - same starter is used.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.