conversion diesel to electric

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by maitlot, Mar 5, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Very interesting read Rick, Thought of putting your experiences and knowledge in print? - or at the very least posting s series of pdf files on boatdesign for download... Also save on your writing replies all the time - just say "read/download page/document 'a, d, & n', for info on intro, design and size relevant", or whatever.... and add appropriate individual comment:D
    Thanks for your contributions is added to your rep...

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Thanks for the points -

No more helping Richard though. I saw he doesn't award points - miserly kiwi!!!

I am learning by doing. And in these situations maybe by others doing based on my input. It accelerates my learning if more do and provide feedback.

I find it quicker to actually provide a specific answer that map out a path. If others want to follow the path then they can ask. I do use previous posts as reference.

My own projects are going quite slow at the moment because paid work keeps getting in the way.

Rick W.

3. maitlot

maitlot Junior Member

Your posts just boggle my mind.

There exactly what I’ve been hoping for, and I thank you for them.

I suppose I should explain how I came to this ‘hair brained scheme born of ignorance’.

Some time ago I came across, http://www.skysails.info/index.php?L=1

and, http://www.kiteforsail.com/ .

When I read they will do 50 degrees to the wind, I felt this was my opportunity to go sailing again.

My interest in power conversion came a short time ago with 100$/barrel oil, and they are small barrels ;-)

As I mentioned in a previous post, “My thinking is as follows:

The first project has to be electrical generation and storage.

Learn how to generate and store enough electrons to drive the vessel for five(5) hours at five knots.”

I’m not looking to drive the ship solely with a wind turbine,
    hull speed would be fantastic, but if impracticable, I could do without it.

So the first equipment I should like to install would be a windgen,
    or two or - I have eight stanchions and a pulpit, and whatever is necessary to control it / them.

Some misapprehension I may have; I would need 8 - 12, 12volt batteries.
    That the electric motor would be around 2,000$+/-.
    This fellow paid 1,660$ for his http://www.kiwiev.com/
    And possibly many more misapps.

The ship is currently on the hard and equipped with the following:

Xantrex Link 1000
    AmpTech ‘code 3', 200+ amp. alternator. Puts out 50 amps @ 800 rpm engine.
    Motorola ??amp. alternator
    ‘InCharge’ regulator
    Freedom Marine 2000 W inverter/charger.
    Six golf cart batteries 6v = 600?+/- amp hr.
    Polarizing Transformer - 40amp?

Location = http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=29.197379&lon=-81.017979&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

Will reread your posts and go to the links and, when finished, should have a much better idea of what we’re discussing here.

As well as start a material list.

It would be great if I could return to the UK/Europe or the Mediterrian again.

Hey, what the hell, how about ‘old guy around the world’. Australia even !

Your time and effort much appreciated Rick,

thank you,

LB

4. masalai

masalai masalai

maitlot,
    If you are an "ancient piece of ****" A phrase my "lovely lady" to her regret used in my direction:D:D:D like me, consider a rig after the style of John Hitch on his "X-IT" which is his most recent design/build . . . I have posted on it elsewhere but I am disorganised & a local search with his or boat name should find it in boatdesign...

I am currently looking at Bob Oram design 44-C with the hitch-hiker rig & electric power (with lightweight diesel generators instead of so many batteries) - Look at my gallery for the early power only idea - dropped cause I miss "sails" too much:D:D:D. . . . . My power only version, with a bit of refinement should cruise at 15 knots and around 12 give a range in excess of 2500miles.... Close to 1 mile per litre! - A 14m version by Robin Chamberlin has done 1.1 litres per mile on delivery from Brisbane to Hobart... http://www.icecat.com.au/objectives.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.