Contentious question-motor sailer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wayne nicol, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

It's not my intention to hijack this thread.
    My suggestion to Mr Wayne Nicol, is look at better boats. Even 40+ year old designs, like the Albin 25.

the Albin 25 also made it on motor Boating and Sailings list of 100 best built fiberglass boats.

I looked a long time for one.

I'm very happy with it. And that I got her for $500. Heeheehee.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Can you trailer it home easily at the close of the weekend, ship it safely to Europe or Canada for the cost of an extra airfare for a few months cruising, trailer it to picturesque inland lakes, using it as a caravan on the way, put it in the backyard over winter and let the kids use it as their rec room, pay less than a full kitchen/bathroom renovation for it ?

I think not.

3. Yobarnacle

Pictures worth a 1000 words!
    This is the boat and trailer when I 1st saw it and I bought for $500. :)
    I tow it with my dodge ram 250, 3/4 ton van. 5.6 liter V8.

Oh! And it was built in 1968. Over 40 years old. No hull blisters.

And the antique boat annual state registration fee is $5. :)

Attached Files:

4. wayne nicol

wayne nicol Senior Member

thanks for all the replies guys- no problem- no body is hi jacking the thread- iuts all dialogue- just what i was looking for.
    sure glad you love your boat yobarnacle- i am sure it is everything you want and more.
    and i geuss the crux is everything wants something a little different to the next fella- but thats what makes it all interresting.
    i have some different requirements for my needs- but still looking!!!!!

5. Yobarnacle

I wasn't trying to sell MY boat, or drum up business for an extinct company.
    Just saying there are some great designs out there. Some old, some new.
    Maybe check out some older designs where the construction is "proved" to have lasted.
    Good luck.

Doing modifications on an older and CHEAPER boat is less anxiety than modifying an expensive new one.

On paper, modifications in design costs little. In reality, a handmade custome boat is expensive, even if you start with a suitable hull.

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I've suggested playing with bladders and making the water ballast transferable (so you might carry half full ballast but only on one side) to keep the boat more upright on long tacks. Yes, it would make the boat less safe so caution would be required and some sort of 'cat sailing rules' might apply.

Also replace the 300lbs fixed ballast with mostly marine batteries, then a Torquedo motor becomes an option, in addition to things like microwave ovens and hair dryers. That would also give you an option of running 'extra light' (another safety issue)

In another thread I prophesied that outboards will soon become low profile "blobs" like minor transoms extensions or swim steps. That would really help a Mac because the big outboard is so in the way, and Macs aren't supposed to be run fast with any load/passengers without the ballast tanks full, due to stability issues (partly from the large, high mounted power head mass).

I guess Mr Mac COULD do a production run of same molds, just in carbon fiber, etc.

7. Yobarnacle

My albin has no lead or fixed ballast. A 17 gal water tank in the bow and a 13 gal fuel tank amidship the only tankage.

I removed both.

I use 5 gallon water cooler bottles (4) as "tanks", moveable ones.

And portable 7 gal outboard fuel tanks (2)

ability to adjust trim by shifting tank location is good in a small 25 footer.

Oh!
    The water bottle in USE, is slung in a gimbaled basket thingy, so it can be tipped with one hand and poured into cup or pot. No pump! :)

and I increased fuel and water caps.

And the bow now stows tools and books instead of 130 lbs of water

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.