Considering Homebuilding a ~50' Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Iridian, Jun 10, 2021.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

The things you are thinking about are good.

I don't know I'm sorry. I know nothing of high performance multihulls, especially in that size range. What I can tell you is if the boat has decent beam, isn't too heavy and carries enough sail it will be fast. Mr Woods for example offers bigger rig options for some of his boats. Their length to beam and hull waterline beam is within accepted norms. If you sail it like a beach cat and have enough sail and wind it will go just fine. You won't win around the bouys though against a stripped out carbon cat sailed like they stole it.

Everything goes up in proportion to weight not length. Remember I quoted the weights of teh Horstman cats for reference. An electric windlass is great until it isn't. Then you need to go forward and sort it out. Murphy dictates that will happen at midnight in 6' waves and driving rain, not in still air on a warm summer afternoon.

I realise this is drifting off topic but I'd like to offer the example of our camping adventures. We tried everything from a tent to a caravan. Everything has it's problems. Anything works fine in sunny dry mild conditions, but when we were camped in sub zero rain wind there may have even been snow we were so happy we had a well insulated teardrop camper with reverse cycle air conditioning, especially as we watched the Japanese girls trying to avoid hypathermia running and electric heater in a tent ( dangerous and ineffective). So many other examples. Anything works in good conditions. How will it go when everything goes pear shaped ?

I could not agree more. Custom matresses are one of my pet peeves. My answer is a small cuddy cabin to fit just the queen bed. Not only std matress but also std sheets etc. What some designers try to pass of as berths is a pathetic joke. Cabinetry personally I'd build it all in foam sandwich. Dark objects like dark timber make a space look smaller. Chipboard etc is stupidly heavy and never waterproof. I hate it. In a 40' you should be able to use off the sheft domestic kit cabinets if you want that, 18" deep ones should fit fine and chuck them when they swell. As I said before do whatever is right for you, but investing in hulls increases performance and seakeeping while big bridgedeck cabins add windage, weight etc. The cuddy cabins are a great compromise IMO.

The mini bridgedeck cats are close and obviously trailerable. Mick waller does one aswell but only in ply. Again re-engineering isn't that hard. I personally prefer the jarcat because of the big double but whatever. With a folding tri your learning skills you won't use on a fixed beam boat but whatever appeals. If you want 8' beam in a cat you are limited to about 20' but that is a fairly handy boat... Whatever you choose make it a manageable project. Don't build 2 giant boats.

You can get good boats for a lot less than that but as you say factor in the headroom requirements and it becomes difficult. If you were in Australia wou'd have a look at these:

45' crowther catamaran for sale | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Hervey Bay Region - Bundaberg Surrounds | 1276337978 https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundaberg-surrounds/sail-boats/45-crowther-catamaran-for-sale/1276337978

Island Dream - Catamaran for sale | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Caboolture Area - Beachmere | 1254019162 https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beachmere/sail-boats/island-dream-catamaran-for-sale/1254019162

Remember those are our tiny little Australian $, multiply by 0.7 to get roughly US$