Connecting a V6 ford engine to a Volvo Stern Drive Help...

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by Voyager 57, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Voyager 57

Voyager 57 New Member

Hi gang,
    I am new here so please don't shoot me down too soon, I'll try to get to the point quickly :) Ihave a 5.7 meter/ 19ft Whittley Voyager that has a volvo penta petrol engine "B20a" and a 270 leg. The B20a has a cracked head and has had salt water sitting in it for about six months before I got it, engine is a throw away!
    The boat was very under powered with the 4cyl b20a, I had been trying to track down something else to replace it. I was offered marinised V6 pertol ford engine very very cheap:) :) and I am trying fit it to the volvo 270 stern drive in the boat using 4 engine mounts to the floor of the boat "the b20a's only mounting was to the stern drive nothing connecting it to the boat itself"
    Then having it connect to the stern drive by the drive plate that was on the b20a fly wheel "it bolts straight on!"

But obvioulsy the bell housing and engine won't bolt up, the starters are in the same place, I can slide the engine into place and it almost fits!!! Only half an inch distance between the bell housing and the block!!! So so very close!
    So here is my question can I just leave a gap ?? Can I not bolt the engine to the stern drive? The engine mounts hold it in place, I have weilded up a square frame connecting all the mounts so it's very stable.

Also the old b20a engine I think put out about 100hp, and would only just get up on the plane at 4000 RPM with 3 people in the boat. The new engine should put out about 130hp, can I put on a greater pitch prop and get on the plane with less revs??? and greater top end speed???

Any advise would be great thank you in advance.... :) :)

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am tempted to say it would be ok. if the engine is supprted and the leg is bolted to the transom then why not.

I am concerned at what you have sat the engine on --you say the floor- well it should be on some beds.

I am also concerned at your allignment. I dont see how you can be sure of it.

What is stopping the engine going right home? and would the bolts line up if it did? Are you sure that its not the boss of the drive plate hitting the front of the drive shaft housing. have you ran it like this yet?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.