ancient kayaker
aka Terry Haines
- Joined
- Aug 6, 2006
- Messages
- 3,497
- Reaction score
- 147
- Location
- Alliston, Ontario, Canada
I have some pros and cons on this one.
Cons first:
I can't argue with LyndonJ's math. I'm bothered by apparent lack of propulsion means and control surfaces in what I assume to be photos. I'm also bothered by Wellmer's failure to respond to these questions. I'm also bothered by the fact that, according to the site provided by Welmer, this project has been going for 14 years, but I have the impression there has only been one sub actually completed so far.
Pros:
I'm fascinated by the concept. Concrete is a well established material for making big things, it's relatively cheap and well understood, it easily casts into any weird shape you want, it's waterproof and withstands compression. That's practically a definition of what you need to make a sub.
What is the problem with having a concrete hull with no rebar to avoid problems with corrosion? Why would you use reinforcement in an application that is pure compression? I can understand why steel is needed in a concrete surface vessel, there's much more dynamic stress there. For relatively shallow use the pressure forces on a concrete hull are negligible; buildings with deep basements in soil with high water levels can withstand such pressures for centuries; they have rebar, sure, but that's to handle the dynamic loads transmitted by the building on top. Roman buildings did not use metal much as a structural element except for a few exceptions like the dome over the Parthenon.
I don't see this application as a stressful situation for concrete provided there is no risk of collision with something big: and let's face it, subs don't often come out the winner in that scenario. For anything smaller, I would wish it good luck hitting a few tonnes of concrete; try attacking a dock with your boat.
Maintenance? About the same as for bridge footings I imagine, which is to say, check it yearly and usually find nothing to do. The biggest problem would be freezing, so just sink the sucker for the winter.
If I wasn't so chicken I would try it myself.
Cons first:
I can't argue with LyndonJ's math. I'm bothered by apparent lack of propulsion means and control surfaces in what I assume to be photos. I'm also bothered by Wellmer's failure to respond to these questions. I'm also bothered by the fact that, according to the site provided by Welmer, this project has been going for 14 years, but I have the impression there has only been one sub actually completed so far.
Pros:
I'm fascinated by the concept. Concrete is a well established material for making big things, it's relatively cheap and well understood, it easily casts into any weird shape you want, it's waterproof and withstands compression. That's practically a definition of what you need to make a sub.
What is the problem with having a concrete hull with no rebar to avoid problems with corrosion? Why would you use reinforcement in an application that is pure compression? I can understand why steel is needed in a concrete surface vessel, there's much more dynamic stress there. For relatively shallow use the pressure forces on a concrete hull are negligible; buildings with deep basements in soil with high water levels can withstand such pressures for centuries; they have rebar, sure, but that's to handle the dynamic loads transmitted by the building on top. Roman buildings did not use metal much as a structural element except for a few exceptions like the dome over the Parthenon.
I don't see this application as a stressful situation for concrete provided there is no risk of collision with something big: and let's face it, subs don't often come out the winner in that scenario. For anything smaller, I would wish it good luck hitting a few tonnes of concrete; try attacking a dock with your boat.
Maintenance? About the same as for bridge footings I imagine, which is to say, check it yearly and usually find nothing to do. The biggest problem would be freezing, so just sink the sucker for the winter.
If I wasn't so chicken I would try it myself.