Concrete submarine

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by waterchopper, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

insurance company's take bets on peoples lives every day

2. stevevall

stevevall Junior Member

little more to add

When it is all said and done, I still like the idea. Would I jump in and go in without all of the questions answered by the experts assembled here, plus others, again, no.
    But taking bets on the life of an individual, no matter what he has failed to provide in this forum goes beyond wrong. That is what I read. By no means am I satisfied and I won't lose my life over it. I have not been lied to. However, I have asked questions, asked for specifics, and for what ever the reason, I also received no answer. But then again, I did not ask for anything other than basic information and schematics of the most rudimentary in nature.
    I want to be involved in a new idea such as this and I am curious, instead of a 100 ton sub that in my opinion would never be allowed in an American harbor, let alone in American waters, has anybody ever considered an alternate means of making a large submarine of concrete. For the experts, has anyone ever considered ferrocement, or shotcrete? I am not talking about some deep dive type sub, but I am referring to something that can go just beneath the major part of a storm and ride it out instead of having to find shelter.
    That is the major attraction to me,, as well as something that is self contained and could be used as a liveaboard?

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

steveall,

Quote: "That is what I read."

Where did you read this?

-Tom

4. stevevall

stevevall Junior Member

Ithought I was done here.

Nobody has answered my questions about Ferrocement. A Ferro expert I spoke to last night said a project with the same or better strength could be done. The exact opposite of what I have heard about the 100 tonner. Could it be done with 1/5 to 1/10 the weight? That is what I want to know.
    In regards to what I read, and this is the last time I will address matters regarding what I read, and what certain individuals wrote. I was imply defending my experience with the individual. I a not going to go back and find the specifics. Did I read, "we are taking bets on a mans life," no. I did read, "concrete coffin" and wagers about when it will crush. So, did the joke imply a person possibly dying in a concrete sub, and were bets taken on when it will crush, yes. Was it a joke, and are individuals mad at Will for what the refer to as lies etc., yes. Put it together yourself. I will let you put it together as to what was implied. I did not like it. Should I lighten up a bit, probably, as was stated, and I am paraphrasing here, "who said this forum is civilized."
    If you are looking for a serious discussion on how to build a concrete sub and if it is feasible to make it safely, I would love to participate and learn from the experts here. I would like to see a liveaboard size sub made that is affordable, as opposed to spending 200k. I cannot afford that but I could afford a sub made at 100k all said and done. I have a sailboard with equity and access to some cash and credit. I would do it and I do not want to wait until I am 60 to get it. What other materials are possible, carbon reinforced structures of a light nature. The egg idea is good, and with equal pressure has a tremendous weight to strength ratio.
    I am suggesting a collective of ideas to make something like this happen. Can we now agree to turn this into a productive conversation, or are there anymore people that want to criticize Wil and keep the banter going?

5. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Take pause a minute Stevevall before you condemn the forum members too strongly for the moral trespass of the toying with some gallows humor.

Wellmer it here selling these submarines with performance assurances that are totally untested.
    This is a direct and real threat to the lives of anyone who might believe his story.

Hows the bit go?
    "A little humor never hurt anyone"

Wellmer will kill people with these subs if he manages to sell any.

By the way..
    I am in:

"bntii: 85 m"

A gentleman's wager as I understand it.
    Beers for all hands!

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

stevevall, as a lone test pilot, what depth would you test this sub to, this may sound like a lynch mob
    but its not
    its proving things are safe with some of the most experienced designers , & i for one am very grateful that they share their vast knowledge with us

7. stevevall

stevevall Junior Member

I admit

OK, I admit to a knee-jerk reaction. I did so already. I would like some serious discussion about concrete subs, if possible.
    Interesting side note, I was just accused by a member of being Wil himself. I admit to having spoken to him by email since I rose my head above water.
    I am not him, and I have received no prompting what so ever as to what I write. There are a few silent members who remember me from previous posts. Additionally, Wil's English skill are not as good as mine and he could not format a message as quickly and as well as I am doing here. No offense Wil.
    Kdkstra sent the private message and states he will no longer post here. I will not comment about that.
    I also want to direct those of you that have the same thoughts to the many posts I have made elsewhere. I am well established in many other websites, and for the detectives among you, I invite you to look at the writing style and make a comparison. You can find posts of several different subjects in either, myspace, travelpod.com, or facebook. No I am myself and it is easy to prove.

8. stevevall

stevevall Junior Member

Peter,myself as well, and I would like to explore the possibilities.
    On a different subject, as a test pilot, you may appreciate this. My son, who is 28, sent my x-plane 7.0 as a gift as well as a joystick and later foot pedals for the rudders. I am just an ameteur and I am just getting the hang of landing in severa of the planes available. It is so much fun, and even though I have done quite a bit, this is a new experience for me and I am hooked. My son on the other hand has been working xplane for over a year and is learning to fly rotary craft and says it is very challenging. I asked him if he ever wants to fly for real and he says that there is no need as his set-up is as close to real as his experiences riding in an actual fixed wing plane and briefly taking the stick in a Cessna. I don't know, and he states that his preflight for the rotary military helicopters that he flies took a week just to get to the ignition. Just an interesting side note

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

bickering

Don't read too much between the lines. We don't all agree it will experience crush depth as some of think it will leak through an overall intact hull. As for concrete coffin remark, that would likely occur if anyone seriously considers going to sea in this unproven hull. We still have not seen any data regarding pour methods, x-rays or anything else that would prove the viability of this masonry project.

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

steveall,

I'm curious, if you want to get away from the "Wellmer factor" and you want to discuss the merits of concrete, recreational sub manufacture, why don't you start a new thread or at least go to the SSS thread? This thread is avoided by many and has a distasteful flavour to me...

-Tom

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

You summed it up Tom.:D

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

On the other hand, I don't have a dog in this fight; I come here purely for entertainment. Nothing more fun than a good lynch mob, sometimes....:p

13. hoytedow

It all depends upon which end of the rope you are standing.:( :( :mad: :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Agreed. By the way, if I had your signature line I'd reverse it.

I'd say we need to think globally, act locally.

15. hoytedow

Nope, I am a nationalist, not a globalist. Signature line stays as it is until I change it to something else, entirely. I wondered how many days it would take for someone to notice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.