composite construction - NA required

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nelly, Mar 30, 2007.

1. nelly

nelly New Member

Hello
    I'm looking for a Naval Architect to help me change construction of a classic wooden sailing boat (Carvel) to a composite moncoque construction - possibly with an internal steel structure and cold molded sheathing. It's a fairly big boat - 65 foot and I want to be able to insure the vessel when complete. Can anyone help?

2. Greybarn

Greybarn Junior Member

I am a naval architect that has been working in the yacht design business for the past 28 years. For the past 22 years, my primary role has been designing the composite parts. These parts are built in everything from hand lay-up single skin, to infused/cored/carbon/levlar structures. Email me at greybarn@hughes.net if you want more information.

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

4. nelly

nelly New Member

I've got a thread running on wooden boat forum vb - 'saving a 65 foot classic' which shows photos and related problems. I'm also prparing sketches of what I propose to do to the boat. I'm wondering if this method is feasible and what type of support I would require from a Naval Architect for future insurance surveys.
    Regards, Neil

5. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Composite (that is wood over metal, not reinforced plastic) is a well proven technique, especially in Europe, that though rare in the US has a lot of advantages in some situations, most notably the ablity to readily use CNC construction.

6. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.