Completely clueless

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Qbonez, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

Very informative thank you. I do plan on starting stringers tomorrow. I will be sure to reference this info as I go.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Fiberglas doesn't bend around corners easily so you have to round the top corners of the stringers and other places to about 1/4" or more radius.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

About 90% of the small boats built just drop the stringer grid right on the hull with no bedding, fillet or gap, it's typically not much of an issue on small boats. More are going to all glass stringers though, so plywood on edge is even less of an issue when it's not being used.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I've never seen anyone bother about the "hard spot" issue either making brand new or repairs. That could be an issue with real thin hulls, but I've never seen anyone bother with it on regular boats.

5. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

Has anyone ever experienced the old tabbing being able to just be chiseled off? Not sure if it's normal but makes for a lot less grinding.

6. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Unfortunately, it is more normal than not.
    I'm in the repair end of things, so I see mostly the worst and little of the best built. Production workers rarely if ever sand/grind.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Chiseling is a little violent and uncertain. I really like the die grinder and ultra thin diamond disks from HF.

8. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

I guess chiseling was the wrong word... I can pry the tabbing off the hull with my nail bar and use the nail bar to pull tabbing off in one piece

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Its for thin ply boats where the bulkheads show through or anywhere a lot of weight may bear and force the BH loads to cut into the inside laminates. I used pads on my fuel tank and livewell intermediates just for loading and the two main beam bulkheads; although I said phooey aft section bh. I figured if the boat is flying through the air and coming down full force aft; probably more than laminate damage.

10. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

I'm having lots of trouble trying to get the fillet resin mixture to be reasonable useable. Is there any (maybe not so widely approved) other adhesives I could substitute?

11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Mixed Resin 1 part
    Fillers 2.5 - 3 parts
    By volume.

Mix on a nice flat board with a 4" steel trowel after mixing in the bucket is no longer working.

Hump it in the middle and if it sags level it all out and add more cabosil like flouring a board and mix until it stops sagging in a pile.

12. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Lots of guy have trouble with sagging because they don't add enough filler. I almost always end up smack at 3:1.

So 3 volume ounces of resin is a 9 oz cup of cabosil (volume)

Just take the resin volume times 3.

13. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

It's not sagging. The fiberglass scraps are all joining together makes it hard to try and use one huge string especially when trying to smooth it out

14. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You are mixing fibreglass scraps into the putty ? :eek:

15. Qbonez

Qbonez Junior Member

I'm cutting down some old cloth tape

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.