Cold Molding Advice

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by stuart, Jan 15, 2005.

1. stuart

stuart Junior Member

G"day
    I need some advice on cold molding a 31ft Carolina Angler from Ken Hankinson. I must let you know that I have never built a boat before, I'm set on building this boat so I'm woundering if any one has built this boat or one like it as a first timer, 2 is cold molding hard for the first timer,3 is Ken Hankinson a good boat desinger.

Thanks for any replys

Stuart
    Australia

2. I have had several conversations with him. Others have agreed with him. Me, he's OK. ----Have you READ all the construction advice he gives free of charge on his web site? Would you follow it? Would you call him with a question as soon as you have a problem? He does not know if you are a good beginner.--------31' boat is a BIG BIG boat to start as a first boat. You are asking a awfull lot of yourself. Pick on 12' to 16' as a first boat. You will finish it, learn a lot and then be ready for 31'. Good luck.

3. stuart

stuart Junior Member

yes to all of the above. Does he have a good reputation as a boat designer?

Stuart
    Australia

4. He is still in business and out of court or bankruptcy after all these years. Is George bush a good president? Any body think his designs are dangerous , please speak up.

5. stuart

stuart Junior Member

what are thoughts in a nut shell mate. Should I go for his design or not? I did as much looking on the web as possible on the guy, he apears to know his stuff teaching boat construction and design. What would you rate him out of 1 to 10 as a designer and boat builder.

Stuart
    Australia

6. I would use his kits.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most designs intended for home built construction are bigger compromises then other designs intended to be built by a skilled work force or as a production yacht.

A designer that ventures to far out on the design envelope limb, will soon develop a reputation that will not live down as easily as was generated.

As far as one designer's work compared to another's, the debate is rather subjective. Each persons idea of the perfect yacht are different and also subjective, so a comparison is reasonably useless, particularly when it comes to the necessarily over engineered structures, required in a home built design. Ken Hankinson designs structures, safe to screw up a little by an amateur, as any good designer should, in regard to this market.

Frankly I don't think you have any idea what you're about to bite into. This boat is a substantial effort in time, money and material. The construction method isn't the most friendly for the first timer and requires quite a bit of skill, not had in other fields of work.

This is a project that will require years to complete and tens of thousands dollars tossed into the effort. If you're thinking "I can build this hull for X amount of dollars" you may be correct, but what you don't know is the hull construction accounts for a rather small percentage of the overall build cost and effort. This hull may mean 7 to 14% of the total construction project, after all is said and done.

Most folks aren't prepared for the realities of this aspect of yacht construction. There are many other aspects of the process that you may also not be aware of. The web sites, study plans and flyers talk about how anyone can do it and how much you'll save, but a lot of this is fluff and wishful thinking by the design or marketing team.

Get all the books and videos on the subjects you can and absorb the information. Work out a budget and begin gathering materials.

You should look at Bruce Roberts design work, before you make out the check for a set of low cost, stock plans. The cost of a set of plans is very small compared to the cost of the yacht. Is this an area you need to cut costs in? Generally, it's not a wise idea. There are a lot more uncompleted yacht projects rotting away then are completed, because someone tried to build his dream boat, before they had a clue what they were doing.

8. Par, I think you missed Stuart's statement of, I am set.

9. stuart

stuart Junior Member

Thanks very much for the info Par. No i'm not fixed on this design how ever it would fit right in for my fishing grounds. Its abot the best I have seen so far, any more sugestions on this style of boat would be great.

Stuart
    Australia

10. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Cold Moulding

Living here in Europe, the name Ken Harkinson doesn't ring a bell. But what are you going to build?
    Power or Sail?
    Are you going to cold mould and than glassing it, or will you leave the hull bare?
    And, what kind of wood are you going to use?
    I'am just happen interested to know.

11. Punch up --www.boatdesigns.com to see all he offers.

12. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Thanks, I did, some ver nice runabouts. I like those traditional designs!

13. I am -- years old, and as a result of his site, I will build a plywood runabout out of 4' X 16' 0r 18' AA marine Fir for all the inner structures. Laminating slot into slot full frames, 1" X 1" triangular on all right angle intersections, all frames cut out at the same time,slotted, holed out for exhaust. 1' spaceing of frames and a couple of 1/4" full bulkheads per USCG regs. should let me give the keys to any yoyo with peace of mind. Outer skins of the real good stuff. I was going for a 20' WW II Higgins PTB. The wife said, "You start the PT and I signs the comittment papers". "CHEEP CHEEP". I said. :)

14. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

If that Marine Grade Fir Ply is good, why don't you use it overall and glue only one sheer of 3 maybe 4mm mahogany veneer on the outersides?
    Your wife will be the more willing to sign "commitment papers"
    They do the same in Italy (Colombo 35': USD 300.000,=) :idea:

15. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

By the way, I see that you live in NJ, if I may so free to ask you whereabout? Most probably I am going to help a guy with the set up of a buildingsite to build his big one and I would like to know if there is a large supplier of fine wood and plywood in the Ford's area? You mentioned one lately but I forgot where.