Cogge Ketch Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Tad, May 5, 2011.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

A grand aft cabin with windows on the transom (beautiful) that is a real ship.
    Do you think it worth the expenses to sheather the hull with copper sheet?
    It can be useful since the ship is on the water all the time. The planking is thick enough to get the tacks.
    I admire you to take care of this beautiful boat. When I think the maintenance of my little 24' sometime overwhelm me, I should be ashame.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Hello Daniel,

The chances of doing a copper sheathing job are slim, a fellow did a smaller (40') boat locally and spent $28k on materials alone. :eek: We have twice the surface area. It's funny, with far fewer wooden boats around and a lot less logging locally (fewer trees in the water), I think the toredo population is far smaller. But bottom growth (mussels, barnacles, weeds, etc) is on the increase because of generally more sun and warmer water. Bottom paint has really improved though, we get 2-3+ years with two coats of EpoxyCop.

Admiration for restoring old boats is in short supply these days, we appreciate all we can get......Thank You....:D The big boat is sometimes overwhelming....be very happy in your little one......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.