Coating for plywood boat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Daan, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Daan

Daan Junior Member

I made 3 sections because my local hardware store does not have larger sheets of plywood. I made sure that I bought the plywood sheets that were meant for outdoor use and they are water resistant. I wanted to buy marine grade plywood at first but I couldn't seem to find where I can buy those where I live.

If it is not ideal to screw the panels on the frame what would you suggest to do to put them together?

2. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

google how to scarf plywood panels and how to make overlapping butt joints, you can use either.

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

As Brendan says re scarfing the panels together, or using butt blocks - these butt blocks could be made out of the same thickness plywood, with perhaps a 100 mm / 4" overlap on each side as a minimum. But this is a bit difficult now as the frames are in the way.

Before you start applying epoxy resin to it, I think it would be a good idea to 'test it out' on water first - it only needs to be a very brief immersion to test the stability, and if the plywood is exterior grade it should cope with this ok.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.