CNC Plans not Included

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jorgepease, Sep 19, 2016.

1. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

Seem to remember someone telling jorge that he had insufficient lateral space for fridge and cabinets whereupon jorge raised the floor to gain the space and keep the troops happy. ??

2. groper

groper Senior Member

If that's the only reason then the waterline is too narrow and/or there needs to be a bit more flare in the hull topsides.

Wasting that much space down there is not very efficient usage of materials, time and money. The hull ends up a lot bigger and heavier than it needs to be.

The sig design uses a raised floor and small coach house to gain this width but they use the space below for engines etc. Then step down forward and aft to living spaces that don't demand as much width.

You really need to consider the entire thing in 3D to appreciate how much more space efficient you can be.

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

That's exactly what I said. At first it had enough hull depth to have 2 floors in the hull. :p

Trim it down even more Jorge! :)

4. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

The floor could probably be dropped another 8 inches to same as bath floor.The bed could be pushed over to still access from the side, plenty of room in galley but you would add a step going down.

I will draw it to see what it looks like.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I love to hear everyones input, that's how we arrive at the Alpha Predator!!! :p

Back to one plane on the interior - number 3. The best surprise is that I had the idea to stack the fridge and freezer so I didn't lose my floor space and I gained another 2 foot or more of cabinet space.

I think this is about as low as is worth going why cheapen it and remember it's got to be livable!! I have added a ton of buoyancy in comparison to weight, actually no extra weight in amenities, so this boat is going to probably float above her lines and might actually need some weight!!!!! I'm comparing to the FF50 draft.

I assume, with the rig of choosing, you can now get SIG 45 speeds or just very fast for a cruiser, speeds. The one part I don't really like is the step in the bridge deck because I had planned for another large beam down the center but that is NA territory.

Better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Here is the profile as you would see it in the water, doesn't look bulky to me!

[​IMG]

or 2 tone

[​IMG]

7. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

looking sleeker
    can you give us a fwd 3/4 view?
    one point that struck me was the apparent thinness of the fwd beam.
    edit: does the "2 tone" render at the bottom use the square side-top-deck geometry?

8. groper

groper Senior Member

What's wrong with a multilevel design?

Why don't you like the coach house approach which gives you extra height in the mid body area? The area where you need the space is in the galley. The rest of can be fit quite easily.

You also can have significant space where the main beam connects to the hull. You can fit a king bed in there with access from both sides via small steps either side. Have a look at the spirited 480 main berth for the idea.

The main beam will have a lot of other components to it for storage and other functionalities. It will have significant dimensions and multiple panels which all add to its stiffness but also create many use able spaces for ropes, conduits, outdoor seating and more etc.

I also don't believe you need 75ft for this. If you can't fit all this in a 60ft boat then the design isn't good enough. You need to remember that a big boat needs a big rig and a big rig get really expensive.

One of the main reasons the sig 45 is fast is because it has a powerful rig. It's very tall by cruising standards, has a rotating mast which makes a big difference in efficiency, and also carries a large head sail on a bow sprit. All together it has a large sail area for its displacement, and that sail area is high aspect ratio and edficient at generating lift. To provide the same power to weight ratio on a 75ft boat will require an enormous rig and with that comes enormous costs not to mention enormous effort on your part to hoist and trim the sails. Powered winches everywhere will be in order to save that effort, for even more cost of course. It spirals out of control and it no longer becomes a profitable Endeavor, you'll loose money on the resale...

9. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I doubt it on the view, I am not using a 3D program, it would be pretty hard to do accurate. The front beams can be made another 19" taller to be at hull level. After that maybe you would have to encroach on space below the bridgedeck. I actually want to make the entire bridgedeck 20" tall and have multiple beams so I can utilize that space as storage for the tables chairs cushions, sails, toys etc... I leave that to the designer though.

The render is photoshop so it's not accurate, I was just trying to show the illusion of making the hull look more slender by breaking up the space.

Steps really bother me, Im always falling over them or down them. If at all possible I would like to avoid steps even on the main deck aft but I don't think that will be possible.

The SIG is sleek but man that is a tight space, you can't live on that thing for very long.

Also the coach house works best when you have a flared hull as raising the deck gives you so much more room but then you get away from being symmetrical unless you flare the outboard hull as well, at which point you have a huge amount of space like Shuttleworth's light bulb shape, which looks dated and it's also a lot more work and materials.

I can't speak for the rig but empty hull space is not much added weight and a lot of added flotation so I'm not sure that you would need that much larger a rig. Most 75 footers are loaded down with weight, this one has about the same layout as the smaller vessels, it shouldn't need the same size rig as other 75 footers that have salons and sliding glass doors and tons of amenities. I think a marginally larger rig would do it but that is just me philosophizing, I wouldn't do anything without an architect.

Raw materials, the glass epoxy and foam for constructing an extra 25 foot longer and wider hull will come to about an extra $30,000 max. I see the potential increase on resale as being much higher. I do believe it's going to save a lot of labor too and not just on the mold so I think it's going to be close to a wash.

Yes the powered winches are needed for sure but that I was going to opt for anyway. None of my sailing friends will even consider a boat that can't be sailed short handed. Powered winches, multifunction wireless displays,
    wireless led lighting, all electric ... man that is the future!

EDIT: I just measured the empty floor space in the kitchen in my studio it's square, I have 48" by 54" ... The boat galley empty floor space is 43" by 144" (12 feet)! So much more counter space. My home kitchen is bigger but not by that much!

10. groper

groper Senior Member

Your level of opulence determines how much space you need to live comfortably. 4 of us lived on my little 35ft cat for over a month no problems. Others have gone round the world with even smaller boats again....

Big boats require big bux, it's pretty much a given. Believing otherwise is wishful thinking unfortunately.

A high performance 75ft cat will have at least a 100ft mast. Think about that for a minute... just the mainsail will cost approx 30k in itself. ...

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Correct.

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Bridgedeck Centerboards

Maintenance expenses might also be considered...
    Single engine propulsion...upfront cost and maintenance savings

13. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

ok, have you tried to snag a free version of "Sketchup"? - does not render well but it does do 3D. Hull shapes can be tricky but possible. Allows you see things from the inside.

14. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Agreed but I always figure the costs last to get a clear picture of the value.

I totally get it now, that’s why I did this exercise but you have to remove price to get the objective view.

Do you realize the SIG has about 24” floor space between counters, I show 43” on this design and it sounds like you think that it’s tight. You have way more on your cat and I suspect if you spent more than a few days on such a tight boat as the SIG you would find it exhausting.

Also, as soon as that boat gets loaded, it’s going to start bogging down. Even LeBreton says it’s a short stay cruiser so I am considering that because I want to leave Croatia in the winters, 3-4 months at a time.

But I agree price to build and maintain has to be considered it’s just not a clear to me that the longer boat is that much more costly because once you start adding things like the salon and unsymmetrical flared hulls with coach roofs etc… you incur costs and a performance penalty.

In the end you might actually pay less but how much less and is it worth having something that falls short of what you wanted.

I think that has to be considered too.

15. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I downloaded Rhino and have been playing with it. Wish they had a tutorial on creating a hull!!!!!!!! Going to ask them about making one because this 2 D approach is only a hair easier than doing it by hand.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.