Chris Ostlind & Lunadadesigns, anyone built from their plans?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by uk_brownie, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Your a bit assumptive Paul, thats a tad foolish... I was in a boat some six months after contacting Chris. It was apparent he was non-responsive and had no plans, I really don't need to beg to buy plans, even from the prima donna's in the market, we are customers you know and we have choices.

I certainly didn't expect them for free, I was, as it happened, going to offer a web site design and build in exchange (if the "free" thing was to be!, otherwise it was immaterial and I would have paid), some thing he seemed to be struggling with at the time with some remnants of renderings posted @ wedgesail.com and a promise to build from his son (from memory?!). However Chris turned off the communication so the offer was never made... non responsive is non responsive.

The design suggestions where superficial in nature and to do with accommodation and usability. They could have probably been achieve by a builder without effecting the structure of the boat at all. They may have even been features already, hard to tell as I only saw the boat from one angle. Anyway, any designer worth his salt can say "no" to a client because xyz... I would have thought thats par for the course! Especially if you are a top earner as you are.

Me thinks you protest too much.

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Well, one of the guys has outed himself with what seems to be a real name.

Still, Paul Brown, you seem to have a reluctance to write me directly and interact personally. It would seem that if your interest were legit, that you'd take the time to do so, rather than make up a fake reason to toss rocks.

Let's face it, Paul Brown, you and I haven't exactly had what some would say was a honeymoon style of interaction up to this point. You want to spring right from that type of conflicted dialogue and then get all cozy with an obviously posed request for design info... and not do one thing to smooth the water beforehand? Come on, bud, you should know it doesn't work that way.

You know this thread isn't sincere and everyone else knows it as well. Please stop the pretense and step up without the games.

3. uk_brownie

uk_brownie Previous Member

Chris, I'm unsure about your opinion of a honeymoon style, how would you like me to address you?

As I've already stated Chris, I'm not going to ask the designer who produces plans about the quality of their plans, I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has purchased and built a boat from them.

Seems like a simple and normal request from someone who is in the business of designing boats and selling plans.

1 person likes this.
  4. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Interesting spin Chris... but I am real.

Why not just design and let them do the talking? Why waste time here?

5. Chris Ostlind

So, after all these iterations, ZED, why not tell me your name, or at least the name by which I might have known you. You do that, and I'll be happy to have a dialogue with you.

If, as you say you have resolved it already, then why are you here making your hurt visible. It can't be both, my friend. Either you have moved on from that which you perceived, or you have not. Right now, I'm getting that you are still upset. If that is true, then simply write me an email and we can get the whole thing set correct.

Now you see why those who use their real names find the business of nom de plume postings to be so lousy? You get to toss grenades and have no real accountability. Stick your real name out there and the game changes completely.

What do you say, ZED?

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

Is this really all there is? A guy asked, "Hey, can I trust this designer?" and he is jumped upon by Mr. "top 5%". Ostlind, you dumb SOB - let your designs and service sell your plans and stay out of the middle of this. I apologize to our foreign brothers. Please don't let the behavior of Lap Dog One (5%) dissuade you from doing business with others here. If there is some other over-riding reason for 5% to jump on you out of the gate (and there is nothing overt), I apologize but this is absurd! The guy just asked a question!
    No, I do not work for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and I wouldn't do business with these guys no matter if they designed boats that safely flew and left a trail of gold dust.

1 person likes this.
  7. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Chris, you have enough info to work it out... but I should care and I don't there is nothing to resolve. It's just been fascinating to watch the performance over the years, mostly from a distance. I must admit I have often wondered why you don't deliver more in the way of plans especially when I see those sexy renderings of multis. I will keep checking your site to see what comes of what, it beats the TV when bored :p :D

The guy asked for experiences and I complied with mine such as it was. If I had been out posted by satisfied builders of your designs then I'd guess you'd have no complaint and I would look like an anomaly. Round up some support and post the builds, I do really want to see some of your builds. Also do post up a storm if the Zona ever hits the water, I want to see one... really I do!

You toss a few grenades around the place yourself... though I hardly call my experience a grenade. Why not just get the designs out there if that is really what you are about. Like I said I like a lot of your ideas and I am sure that you would get plenty of builds happening especially in the small end of things where people are (I'm guessing) probably more adventurous.

8. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Oh this is becoming FUN! Apparently your country men are up for giving you a harder time than I ever intended. LOL.

He is right however, just shut us up with some great designs! That would keep me entertained, love those build sites!

9. Chris Ostlind

Yes, I believe I do have a lock on your person after going back through my old emails. I'm not really sure as to just what you might be complaining about, though, since not one cent ever changed hands. Still, I wouldn't dream of putting your comments, or intent, in front of this mob and I don't see what you have to gain from doing so yourself... if you have it settled, that is.

There are plenty of boats under build, ZED. I'm satisified with the rate of progress and quality of my design work and the folks who already have boats in their hands are telling me, as well as a whole bunch of people, that they are satisfied, as well. These folks do not visit this site, so you're not going to see their commentary on these pages.

Here's one, just to satisfy your curiosity. http://deviantwind.blogspot.com/
    You can see here, that I'm not doing the writing or picture taking. These are Kellan's words and they speak for themselves. Just today, the tenth set of plans for this boat, the XCR, were sent out to a new builder.

10. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Complaining? NO! Just pointing out that in my experience you have been all talk.

Money never had a chance of changing hands Chris!.... LOL... If you'd actually had something I could have bought it may have been different. Instead you chose to mislead me about the state of the plans and project, I could be a lot harsher about that part of the experience.

Anyway, you know what I am talking about...

Now go get some plans up for sale boy! seeeesh!

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

You are right. I made an assumption based on some comments you made. When I am wrong I am wrong. If you bought plans and built a boat then that is great news.

Really, one non-response to an e-mail and you concluded that? Maybe there was more to it than that, but your comment earlier seems to indicate that the seller was non-responsive to only one message.

It still appears your services could have been useful.

What exactly have I been protesting too much? I think I've made it quite clear that I am not sure there are any complete plans to be purchased. You don't even have to read between the lines.

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

No, he did not "just ask a question."

He was having an argument on another thread with the guy supposedly selling plans, and started a bogus thread for no purpose other than to try to discredit the guy.

I'm certainly not a lapdog for the guy selling the plans. If you look in the archives you will see there is little love lost between us.

Finally, please don't be angry because I am more successful than you are. You seem to be quite riled up about that. I'm sure your mom loves you regardless.

13. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Leave it alone Paul, customers don't really have to justify themselves to someone trying to sell them things...

If you have someone willing to part with money for your plans for some reason the deal does not come about either...

1. You are incompetent in handling inquires and some how mishandled the situation. It's kinda traditional that the seller has an interest in not ignoring customers and giving themselves the best chance possible.

2. You never had anything to sell and could not bluff you way through until you did. Selling what we once called vapourware.

Either way the customer cannot be blamed, the game is for you to get their money into your pocket and for them to walk way feeling they received value. So much so that you get them back again... now you must be aware of this and you must have your difficult customers. Putting it simply there is not really an excuse, the onus is on the trader, to try and push it back to the customer is just plain misguided.

14. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

All that is true.

I was just surprised to hear someone would walk away without getting an explanation after only one e-mail not being returned. E-mails get lost, or overlooked (part of your point 1), or something comes up.

When I am interested in buying something and I get a non-response I usually try again instead of walking away, because I know there can be acceptable reasons for not receiving a reply. If it is something I really want I am a bit of a bulldog until I get it.

Of course it is possible that your point 2 was (is?) the reality, and you may have had good reason to believe that. However, you did not articulate the reason well in your posts.

1 person likes this.

15. Zed

Zed Senior Member

You are assuming the one email part.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.