New boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Braydenh28, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Hi guys I have recently brought a 5 meter Hartley powered by a old 105 Chrysler. Picked boat up pretty cheap. I thought I would join forum to share progress and also get tips as have no experiance with repairing boats, I have been reading afew post on forum and that to get info. The boat has no rot that is obvious enough and needs a good paint up and that, would it be reccomended to fiberglass or is that a waste, any info for me would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot brayden

Attached Files:

2. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Picture

Attached Files:

3. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Picture 3

Attached Files:

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

For a fiberglass job to be successful, all the paint needs to be removed. That means that all the hardware has to be removed too. Unless there is a problem, paint should be fine.

5. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

I am planning to repair and replaint, I have been told by previous owner it has a sealer, primer and lead paint, there is a small crack in the bottom of hull very small that has been repaired with fiberglass but isn't very good so will have to seal up wee split or recover in more fiberglass maybe...Do I have to sand hull right back to the ply before I repaint? Do I need to re seal it first and what to use to fix wee split also do I need to reprime before I paint. There is no rot

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I certainly would not be sanding back any paint unless it is cracked or peeling, but I would sand around the "wee split" to see what is happening there. I'm not sure what the sealer would be, a primer as the name suggests is the first coat. And if it is red lead, it must be a pretty old job, you can't get that stuff today that I know of. So be careful with sanding it, you don't get any health benefits from ingesting it.

7. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Fix the crack or "split" properly first. Then only after that's fixed 100% do any cosmetic painting. Post photos of the "small crack" if you have any question. My worry would be that if it was fixed and cracked again there could be a larger issue causing it to crack.

8. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Ok cheers guys I will take photos tomorrow In daylight,

9. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

What are me steps for painting?... Ino for a car you sand back to steel apply etch primer on steel, apply body filler then primer then base then clear... Is there a etch primer type product I need to apply to the bare patches of ply? Or do I just use a primer? Do I need to seal after final coat of paint has been applied?

10. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Photo

Attached Files:

11. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Another

Attached Files:

12. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Next photi

Attached Files:

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

In what kind of state is the "refrigerator" on the back ?

14. Braydenh28

Braydenh28 Junior Member

Lol it I guess u talking about the old outboard... It runs

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This boat doesn't appear to be an encapsulated build, so the procedure is to remove any loose and flaking paint, sand back the edges to "feather" them into surrounding areas, fill any places necessary, prime, then paint. Don't be tempted to use a pressure washer, which would be a quick way to remove loose stuff, as it'll just blast off bits of wood too, making more work for yourself.

Once the loose stuff is removed and the boat roughly sanded, you'll see all the areas that need attention. Repair these before filler is used. Automotive fillers generally don't work on boats. They usually just pop right off, when the wood expands and contracts with moisture content. Use an epoxy filler, which you can make yourself or buy as a pre-mix (such as QuickFair from System Three). After the repairs and filling are done, prep the surfaces just like it's a piece of outdoor furniture and paint it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.