Chevy 350 spark plug leads

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by mikealston2428, Sep 5, 2013.

1. mikealston2428

mikealston2428 Senior Member

Hi All,

Am looking at a new set of sprk plug leads for my Chevy 350.

Its all abit confusing as there seems to be a lot of options out there.

The engine is in a boat and is not used as a speed machine with most work being trolling at around 7 knots about 1300rpm.

What sort of leads should I be looking at.

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're looking for new plug wires, you have lots of choices, but you don't need anything fancy. All the major manufactures carry OEM style of wires, so look at what you have (straight or angled boots, etc.) and order up a set. You don't need big wires or any other fancy feature, just a stock replacement will do.

A set of AC Delco (SMI98126 for a 90 degree boot) wires will work, though I like to make custom length wires, for a perfect fit. The wires you choose need to fit the application, because there's a few different configurations. For example if your ignition is HEI, you'll need that style of distributor boot, also some head types may require an angled or straight boot at the plug. So, identify what you have and pick up a standard set or you can go custom and crimp on the ends as you need them. I use the Accel universal fit sets, so I can cut the wires to custom lengths. All you need is a standard 7mm wire with the appropriate ends. You should spend less than $50, probably less than $40.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Your choices are between copper core or resistance leads. Copper leads require suppressor caps on the spark plugs, otherwise electronics like a radio go beserk.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

With the exception of straight race setups, solid and stranded copper wires without suppression don't exist at most auto/marine outlets, unless you special order them. I do use solid core wires for a race boat and a dunebuggy and everyone knows I'm coming if in the dunebuggy, because the ignition "noise" can be seen on their TV from a few miles out, which generally pisses them off or at least their kids.

This OP has a plain Jane small block and only needs standard OEM wires, all of which will be suppressed (all 350 spec'd wires will be, but not all small blocks).

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Can't hide the fact that I'm an old guy....
    I prefer copper wires and suppressor caps because the resistance is equal on all 8 plugs. With resistor wires the plugs farthest from the distributor have a weaker spark.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.