Chess match(es)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by troy2000, Nov 16, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK, we're down to the nitty-gritty; the next couple of moves will probably tell the tale. And I'm not going to move this morning....

Why? Because it's 8 AM, and I've been up since 5:30 yesterday morning. I got up early to debone the turkey and start simmering the carcass for turkey rice soup to stash in the freezer; make turkey hash (with potatoes, onions, bell peppers and gravy, and eggs poached on top) for breakfast; do two weeks worth of my laundry; snake the drain from the back patio to the street so the yard doesn't flood next time it rains; write my son in boot camp a letter; drive 185 miles to work through gusty desert high wind warnings; and work a 12-hour shift.

On top of all that I'm sitting here with a Tom Collins glass, a bucket of ice, a bottle of bourbon, and a liter of seltzer water. Just in case I missed a brain cell or two that was still functioning...:D

It would not only be dumb of me to move right now; it would be disrespectful to Mark. I think he's going to lose this one -- but if he does pull out a win, he deserves full bragging rights. As opposed to, 'well yeah... I guess I won. But Troy was way tired, and he had a couple of drinks down him, etc."

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Well, I ate old pizza the night before last and got violently ill for Thanksgiving. Had an important dinner with business associates (My family is not here) and had to leave before eating. ****.
    I do not see a lopsided game here...I was just going to offer a draw. Let's see what happens for a bit.
    001.jpg

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Q. What's the difference between a chess player and a boat builder ?
    A. A chess player moves every now and then.

Attached Files:

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

"Troy2000 was having dinner with Mark775 -
    Problem was, they had a checkered tablecloth
    and it took them two hours to pass the salt!"

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

BERKELEY, CA - The Berkeley Board of Education voted last night to ban the game of Chess from all of its elementary, junior high and high schools. The board claims that Chess has a negative influence on students because of the backwards and outdated thinking that was responsible for creating the game.
    One board member, Claudia Starsniffer, compiled a list of seven grievances against Chess. Starsniffer's list claims,

Chess is irrelevant to our society because it was created by dead white guys.

Chess encourages racism by having a 'war' between a white army and a black army.

Chess reinforces current racist tendencies in our society by always having the white army move first.

Chess glorifies war.

Chess oppressively reinforces heterosexual stereotypes. It does this by forcing each army to have a king and a queen and by not allowing the game to be played with either two kings or two queens.

Chess is guilty of breaking the separation of church and state by allowing a bishop to be a belligerent in war.

Chess destroys self-esteem. When children play the game, one always loses. Losing causes a child to feel dumb and inadequate.
    Said Starsniffer, "There is no place in our society for a monstrous game like Chess. Chess is dangerous. Chess is destructive. Chess teaches racial and sexual oppression. Chess has got to go!

Notice below Troy2000 and Mark775... ;)

Attached Files:

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

This is what you get from playing too much chess...

Attached Files:

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You know, Fanie, I can only give you so many points for being funny.

Somebody, give Fanie some points.

That last one made me laugh til my chess hurt.

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Not worried about the points - but next time you swing by here pick me up lets go for a spin. I'm not getting on the water here and I'M DESPERATE !!! I even DRINK the stuff nowadays :eek:

9. hoytedow

Just when are you going to launch?(Not to hi-jack the chess thread)

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yes lets hijack the chess thread. These okes takes HOURS to make a move...

No clue when, but if you ever come by I'll friggin swim out there.

11. hoytedow

You should load the whole thing onto a container ship and finish the build here.

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Sorry you didn't have a better Thanksgiving; mine was a very comfortable one.

A draw? No, I don't think so. Although I've never seen a chess position so good I couldn't screw it up....

I'm at work, and finally got around to moving.

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

After a little meandering...
    (I didn't post every move)
    001.jpg

I went over some chess matches today of Pal Binko (my favorite), Capablanca and current world champion Viswanathan Anand, and at times I was giddy at the notion of mirroring some small bit of their brilliance and at times I had to say "WTF?" Everyone makes mistakes. The win goes to he who makes the second to last.

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

[Event "Casual Game"]
    [Site "http://www.itsyourturn.com"]
    [Date "2010.11.19"]
    [Round "*"]
    [White "mark775"]
    [Black "troy2000"]
    [Result "*"]
    [Ply "82"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. fxe5 Nxe5 5. Qe2 Bc5
    6. Nf3 d6 7. d4 Nxf3+ 8. Qxf3 Bxd4 9. Rf1 Qe7 10. c3
    Be5 11. Bg5 h6 12. Bxf6 Bxf6 13. Nd2 Be6 14. Bxe6 Qxe6
    15. Qh5 Bg5 16. h4 Bxd2+ 17. Kxd2 Rf8 18. Qb5+ Ke7
    19. b3 Rfb8 20. Qb4 a5 21. Qa3 Kd7 22. Rf5 b5 23. Raf1
    Qxe4 24. Rxf7+ Kc6 25. Qc1 Re8 26. Qd1 Re5 27. Qf3
    Rae8 28. Qxe4+ Rxe4 29. R1f2 Rxh4 30. Rxg7 Re5 31. Rff7
    Rhe4 32. Rf2 Rd5+ 33. Kc2 b4 34. c4 Rde5 35. g4 Re1
    36. Rgf7 Ra1 37. Kd3 Ree1 38. R7f6 Red1+ 39. Ke3 Rac1
    40. Ke4 Re1+ 41. Kf4 Rc3 *

I made one move, after Mark moved his king and posted a picture: my rook from c1 to c3. I'm not sure yet whether his king on the prowl is going to be good or bad for me, but I decided I might as well encourage it on its way....

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I wonder if there is an end-of-a-thread notification.
    This is going to be a loooong thread.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.