Cheap $ 2 Million personal submarine ?!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Aug 13, 2010.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Give me a million dollars I will build you a concrete submarine. For real... But let's make that 2 million just in case first one sinks....

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Submarines are designed to sink silly!

-Tom

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I have a goose named Miss Cillie Goos

Attached Files:

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Questions to ask submarine builder before giving him money.
    1. Have you built many of these before?
    2. Do they survive the sea trail?
    3. Are you the one that has been building this sub for the last 3 years in Boatdesign forum out of concrete?
    4. what is difference between submerging and sinking?
    5. Has anyone die in your subs yet?

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Wot? Do we have a concrete forum? That would surely be visited by brickheads...?

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

:D lolz ....

I was building a submarine at one time, figured the best material to use with Sewer PVC pipes ...

7. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I have often wondered about the possibility of a self propelled personal submarine. While not in use, an on deck windmill compresses air for the next voyage. A compressed air motor takes the submarine off shore. After that you use the submarine as an underwater glider. Optimal settings on wings give you a long slow descent without any power requirement. Once you've reached your maximum depth you force some ballast out with compressed air, reset your wings for the longest possible ascent and enjoy the ride. I can visualize the possibility of an underwater gliding submarine running all day on minimal amounts of compressed air as it alternates between ascent and descent gliding. It would be ideal for nature studies because of the minimal propulsion disturbance of the realm you are studying.

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Questor do u have a program that randomly generates text or do you actually sit down think and write your posts ?

1 person likes this.
  9. Questor

Questor Senior Member

A program of that type might be more credible than some of the stuff I come up with. Personal submarines are one of my favorite subjects.If I had the money to build a personal watercraft I would probably build a personal submarine. Material wise it would be much cheaper than building a cabin cruiser. A personal submarine would use much less fuel than most boats . I'm surprised there are not more people doing it.A gliding submarine would be slower than a propelled one, but slowness would give you more time to actually study and enjoy the ride. I recently saw a real life 2 man electric submarine that relies on gliding more than propulsion. I can't remember which documentary it was featured in but it was the most fascinating small submarine I have seen to date.

The submarine had a main tubular body about 3 feet across, four pivoting wings about 6 feet long by two feet wide, two half sphere clear canopies to cover the upper body while providing 360 degree visibility,a micro motor for propulsion on each wing and an overall length of about fifteen feet.

10. Questor

Questor Senior Member

For a glimpse of serious research into gliding submarines without propulsion systems check out this story, " Yellow Submarine to try again for Atlantic Glide.".

11. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I have see a very popular custom made sub / glider / jet sky.
    It a dolphin shaped craft that can dive, turn, swirl and can perform some impressive maneuvers, the cockpit was taken from an F16 and it had a jet ski turbocharged engine.

The boat cat dive up to 5 feet and can stay submerged for a few seconds (until the alarm sounds and the engine starts gasping for air). It can also turn on its axis and jump due to the fins.

It was designs and build by 2 guys, ill try to find a link for it as it was on discovery channel.

One of the most innovative ideas iv seen ....

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Subs are one of my favorite topics of all time. so i will have a look !

13. CaptChris

CaptChris Guest

Check out with the Russians, they have some subs left over :D

Chris

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Yes in theory that sounds nice ..... but i think it will be difficult to get my friends to go sailing with me on a nuclear attack sub ...
    maybe diesel will ne less intimidating.

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You'd think it would be easier to keep that concrete sub sunk, considering what it's made of. But it keeps bobbing up every time we turn around....like trying to keep a zombie in the ground, I guess.:p :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.