Chapelle page 37

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by John Gartin, Nov 4, 2017.

1. John Gartin

John Gartin New Member

Greetings Everyone;
    I have been searching for the plans to the boat shown in Figure 8, page 37 in Chapelle's book "Boatbuilding" for years. I'd really like to build this boat! Does anyone have a lead as to where I might find the plans?

Thanks Kindly
    John

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

That double ended V bottom powerboat isn't particularly good as a powerboat, by modern standards. The text sure doesn't offer much about it and it's only notation is the illustration title "V bottom high speed motorboat". It's a bit like a well truncated "Baby Bootlegger" and has several "features" that are less than desirable in a powerboat design, such the hollow V along it's length, warped bottom configuration and of course lack of bearing area aft, etc.

If you like this boat, have a look at the "Bartender" (bartenderboats.com) which is a successful double ended powerboat. Plans are available in several sizes and configurations and the aestedics can be altered to suit your desires or era.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The Smithsonian has most of Chapelle's plans and will provide copies for a fee. The only index available is a listing of the plans by name: Ship Plans List Ship Plans http://americanhistory.si.edu/about/departments/work-and-industry/ship-plans The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum also has a Chapelle collection.

However my guess is the illustration on page 37 of Boatbuilding was done for the book, and there was not a specific design based on that drawing.

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Years ago I went to a Maritime Museum in Rhode Island and I think they had a lot of Chapelle's material on display.
    Yes, the hull form is a bit dated but they did work provided they where not too heavy.

5. PAR

The drawing the OP is referring to is what he'd (Chapelle) call a cartoon and likely not a full up design, just a quick rendering for the book. There are lots of hollow garboard V bottom powerboat designs from the era to select from, though not many double enders. Baby Bootlegger is a notable one, I mentioned, though it's a stepped V bottom double ender, which is what makes it work pretty well.

6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I checked my Chappelle's "Yacht Design and Planning' - strictly sail (of course!) ...no power boats

7. PAR

This is his "BoatBuilding" book, not "Yacht Design and Planning".

8. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Yes, I had already checked my copy of 'Boatbuilding', so I tried the 'Designing'

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.