CE vs. CLA in a dynamic reality

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Slowmo, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Slowmo

Slowmo Junior Member

This is a very interesting design problem. :confused:

1. If planing Lateral area is down to zero in the front of the hull and CL moves backwards.

2. In waves the hull moves, the mast angle changes and CE chages in seconds.

Can these things be universally solved... or as in most cases dramatical trade offs needed!?
    We dont like to flipp the rudder forth and back all the time, do we!? Some stability needed.

For sailers going high in head wind it's said thay should have a high rigg and a deep keel (small ratio depth /corda for both sail and centerboard).

But...
    with a high rigg CE moves more in waves.
    with a deep keel (small corda) the CE moves even out of the physical lateral area.

Are there any guiding rules or any old wisedom here?

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Yes, these items are discussed in "Seaworthiness, the forgotten factor" - C.A. Marchaj.
    I just finished it, and it's interesting reading!

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Dutch Peter
    Not just interesting....That book should be mandatory reading for every aspiring designer. As an engineer I find all Marchaj's work satisfying.

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Got halfway "sailperformance", and "hydrodynamics" is still on the "to-buy/birthday present" list. To me they're bibles, like Skene, Chapelle and "principals of....". Must be that English is not my native tongue that that didn't come across.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.