Carbon Kevlar

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by m3mm0s rib, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Why use carbon AND Kevlar together? One is very stiff and one is not.

2. daydreamsully

daydreamsully New Member

@rwatson

Thanks rwatson, i will download both and give them a go. I used to use autocad and vectorworks a few years back so hopefully i havent forgotten too much and there will be similarities so i dont have to start from square one. Also i cant seem to find much info on the best way of a build up of composite or glass fibre layers. I have in my head for the hull using a male mold similar to memmos. And for the actual hull using vinylester all the way through and starting with 600gsm chopped strand glass fibre matt then carbon fibre just quarter the way up from the keel, 2 layers of 600 glass then carbon kevlar all the way over and one layer of 600 glass matt then the gel coat. Am i mixing too many products here as i know carbon fibre is good for compression hence i have it only down near the keel where my internal frame will be put in after. And the kevlar is good for preventing too much flex which i was thinking if the hull comes down hard on a wave the force is bound to try and squeeze the hull in closer to the gunwhales if you get me? Alternatively im thinking just the carbon fibre as my first layer quarter the way up to tie in with the frame then 6 layers of 600gsm chopped strand glass fibre. Any ideas?

3. daydreamsully

daydreamsully New Member

Sorry jim this post was for another page but posted here also maybe you can answer the best build up i need. Also as you say why have carbon and kevlar. This is true i have read other posts and it seems the two though in theory would cover two areas of stress im trying to eliminate but at the same time they work against each other at the same time. So maybe the second option of the carbon only option?

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Basically you are attempting to guess the optimum layup, when you need to get the help of an experienced designer.

You are risking the boat, and maybe your life with 'gut feel' specifications.

You certainly wont be able to get insurance ,and considering the price of the big motors that might not be a good idea.

5. daydreamsully

daydreamsully New Member

Maybe you're right, then theres the cost. Which it would be the same here for insurance so best having backing feom a designer. I will have to look into this :/ cheers mate