Car engine vs. outboard

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by F.H.B., Mar 23, 2010.

1. bearflag

bearflag Inventor/Fabricator

Not much to be gained by going hybrid, but even for a small boat it "might" be smart to use a small displacement 2/3/4 cylinder engine with all the cool electronics and what not. Direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, exhaust gas recirculation etc etc all add up. I have heard automatic transmissions can even help out by giving you a larger power-band. Though that adds a lot of weight. You could even use the unused axle as a PTO. Europe and Japan even have some great small diesels.

Alternatively if weight is a premium, a motorcycle engine could be a winner. Some of those bad boys have a few hundred horse power, and weigh almost nothing.

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

The Elbe Aqueduct was opened in Magdeburg on October 10, 2003
    I'm sure there's more
    Everytime i'm in Holland there sees to be a new road due to new or widened canals or road tunnels under canals so they can take higher ships

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Boat diesels ( small ones) have almost the same emission spec as a road going since the world agreed on tier 2-3- and 4
    There is almost no chance for hybrid in a pleasure boat as they are never braking or going down hill
    Maybe displacement boats as they have a prop load that no engine is designed for

I dont remember any car manufacturer doing anything without the EPA giving them a push and that did mean the US moved first!!!!!
    That also applies to diesels, the US was 20 years ahead with electronic diesels

4. bearflag

Hybrids... I think have a very narrow band. Mostly falling in these categories.

VERY high torque. Tugboats are a good example, so are ice breakers. Esp anything with articulated props.

Feel good, environmentalists with more money than sense.

Yachts who want to be able to creep around without making noise in the marina, or disturb their guests, for short motoring bits.

Fishermen, divers, naturalists, and geeks etc or other people who again want their boats to be able to swithc on an ultra-quiet mode.

Boats with high energy consumption, so that the alternator/generator can serve a dual role.

I am sure they are more.

But a direct drive I think is going to win 90% of the time or more. In cost, weight, efficiency, complexity, etc.

I'm building sailboats though, so..... yeah. Motors are for marinas and dead winds, not for cruising.

5. bearflag

Small diesels are a foreign entity for US automobiles.

Most of them are in japan, or in europe. It is really a shame though, because modern diesels are more efficient, more powerful, last longer, and pollute as little as gas engines now.

I WANT A TURBO DIESEL IN MY TOYOTA PICKUP AND CAN"T GET ONE!!!!

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

EGR is a devise to help heat the cataytic convertor, it is not an economizer. Direct fuel injection is old, you mean electronic common rail fuel injection.

What about electronic valves --not here yet but coming from Bosch, no cam no oil up top, no belt,--cant wait.

Multi stage injectors!! hell my Yanmar 250HP has those, pre and post turbo injection control,--yep got that too.

Automatic transmission,!!! geeez 30 years old

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The fuel available in America is not suitable.

Toyota landcruiser HD1 4.2ltr x 6 pot turbo 4 valve 300HP.

The BMW diesel is faster than the petrol. Times change eh?

8. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Good post, and yes, slow barges just like big container ships are much more efficient than road transport by far.
    One objection. You say Diesel/electric trains have regenerative breaking. I don't think there is such thing as a diesel electric train, but a diesel locomotive or if you prefer a diesel/electric locomotive.
    Such beast are relatively efficient but the brakes are not regenerative since they have no were to store energy, nor could they feed it back to the grid. The electric brakes or dynamic brakes use the traction electric motor to produce electricity to slow down and help the normal brakes yet the electricity generated goes to a resistor and dissipates in heat. No efficiency there. They would have to carry a sh** load of batteries to recover dynamic braking energy. This would also be very limited since the number of powered axle in a freight train is very low compared to the number of braked axle. I am not saying it can not be done, only that it is probably impractical.

An electric train with motors on every axle can do that trick and feed it back to the 3rd rail.

9. bearflag

Now you are just making me jealous. I have actually made several inquiries for importing this very engine for an off-highway 4x4 of mine. California EPA will not certify it for highway use though.

I've talked to toyota and a few owners groups like SAN etc, about this. Main reason we have no diesels in the small trucks is that the California Air Resources Board keeps strangling the emissions regulations. (California as the most populous state sets the standard of what gets built or imported into the US) Our diesel here in California is some of the cleanest, and also some of the most expensive in the States.

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Renault designed and built a hydraulic valve train for F1 but it was banned.
    They do hold several patents on it.

I cant wait for virtually unlimited valve operation.

11. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

What do you mean you have no diesel in small trucks? Don't you have Tacoma and Tundra with diesel engines?

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

California ARB also say diesel fumes are carcenogenic and the particle polution is still too great so they are not keen on them yet...
    Le Mans diesel race cars have been testing full flow exhaust filters so they are working on it
    Just read some reasearch that showed modern diesels make such small particles they are being absorbed into the blood stream via the lungs....

13. bearflag

I apologize, I was speaking about gasoline/petrol engines, gasoline direct injection is fairly new for them.

Modern EGR "can" increase efficiency by reducing throttling losses and by lowering combustion temperatures which in a forced induction application can allow more boost.

We can nitpick over the details, for no good reason. But i think we will both agree that modern automotive engines whtehr diesel or gasoline are both more efficient than small boat engines? yes?

14. bearflag

No... not in the USA.

The Tacoma and Tundra do not have the wonders to which your Hilux has enjoyed for so long. CARB is responsible for this horrible, horrible travesty.

15. bearflag

I did some research on detonation cycle internal combustion engines a few years back and we found this company with computer numerically controlled hydraulic actuated valves that could cycle over 20,000 rpm. Pretty wild stuff. We never ended up building anything with it though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.