help with a rotten floor

Discussion in 'Materials' started by roadking666, Oct 17, 2006.

1. roadking666

roadking666 New Member

I just bought a boat, 1984 Larson 5500 Citation, Well, it has a rotten floor, I knew it when I bought it but after taking up the rug I found it was a lot worse than I thought. So, I am reading so much about fiberglass and epoxy resin, I don't know what to use, nor the difference. Can some one explain? thanks.

2. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

road king,

Its probably even worse than that. You have to examine the stringers while the floor is out. Poke or prod with an awl, screwdriver, etc, and find the real extent of the damage. I'm not pessimistic, its just that with old boats, its almost always worse than you first think. It will be better than new when you are done.

Let us know,

Mike

3. asianbandit

asianbandit Junior Member

Check this site out

This link is very good, gives you a lot of good information on fiberglass and materials and repair. This site suggests using a different resin than the one recommend on the site. Check it out..it will help..it helped me....

http://capndsboatshed.com/fiberglassmaterials.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.