Can wheeled vehicle run on the surface of water at high speed?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by slboatdesing, Aug 22, 2022.

1. slboatdesing

slboatdesing Senior Member

Marginal. Efficiency?

2. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

3. slboatdesing

This is just an idea, I thought someone might be able to use it to improve their water vessels.

"Planing hull faster for the same power?" You have identified the most important factor here - yes, it may be the case. However, looking at the graphs of hull resistance with speed, it seems that skin friction is a big factor in the total drag of a boat moving through water, and hence the power required. I say the other day a boat that required 400 hp to go 35 mph. This is crazy for land and air transport, you can go much faster than this. Hydrofoils and hovercraft, WIG craft lift the craft out of the water into the wind where resistance is less.

The skin friction on the bottom of a planing boat, whatever it may be, is the skin friction between the water and an object moving relative to the water. This causes friction. Think of removing the wheels of your car and planing it on the road at high speed. What I am proposing is to make the contact surface move in unison with the water surface, thereby reducing the speed difference between the water and the boat underside, reducing friction.

Will it work? The planing skimobiles may be losing more speed than if they were fitted with a boat bottom and a propeller, I do not know, a full scale model will show if the concept is workable or not. What I do know is that driving on an almost solid surface (with some aquaplaning by the wheels ) is possible. It may be like driving your car through 5 cm of water with a 70hp engine without slowing down.

4. slboatdesing

That's very interesting I was able to find a figure for weight and horsepower which, for the weight, seems to give a reasonable top speed. This was meant for snow as well as water, and is essentially a heavy machine. Its a wonder it was not used in a Sci-Fi movie!

At the beginning of the 1986, a prototype came out to test, equipped with a VAZ-411 rotary-piston engines with an 110 horsepower. each.

https://en.topwar.ru/140172-shnekorotornyy-snegobolotohod-zil-29061.html

My idea is for a lower weight, speedier craft, but we will have to wait and see.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  5. slboatdesing

The difference in speed between a rolling vehicle and a water-planing vehicle is not so great in some instances, so the concept has to be evaluated for efficiency, but may have its uses.

I like the amphibious bus and the alligator-like vehicle.

6. slboatdesing

7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

8. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Consider that all of those water skip vehicle's Drive Wheels are using water friction to keep the vehicle on top, and might sink even with high power, if the water friction was minimalized or eliminated. My guess is those skip Vehicles would be traveling faster on solid land than they are on water, for the same power output, because of the differences in slip friction for solids compared to liquids, especially below planing speed, haha!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  9. slboatdesing

Thanks for sharing "Pipe Dream" it did bring a smile to my face. All those engine fluids leaching into the water is not such a nice thought, but it's something. The bike uses a combination of wheels + skates, and the tires do support some of the weight but less friction than planing I would think.

It is all case of speed per horsepower - the bike is a KTM 450, with a power of 54.8 bhp it seems to be as fast as a jetski, which usually has about 100 hp or more. This is all guessing, but it seems to have an advantage as a amphibious machine. I think the speed / power seems to favor this concept.

They are using the impact force of the water to keep the machine up, friction acts opposite to the direction of motion. Even if they were travelling faster on land, the question is would any boat of the same power travel faster or slower that this? I am betting that the boats will need more horsepower to go at the same speed.

It is all up for experimentation. It has probably been patented, but any company or government is free to undertake the research into these things. Maybe they should - faster speeds and/ or less fuel.

10. slboatdesing

Here is the latest concept, a four to six seater with two propellers at the back, run by a maybe 100hp electric engine. The craft floats on water at all times, under power the wheels aquaplane across the water and are free to revolve, reducing friction. At high speeds, the craft will run over water like a rough road, with the revolution of the wheels minimizing the speed difference between the contact point on the wheel and the water.

(Wings 3D, rendered in G3 Viewer)

Attached Files:

11. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

The Wheeled vehicles that are running on top of the water surface without skates seem to require a running start from land, Plus a fairly smooth water surface without significant high frequency waves?

12. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

The major limitation I see with Pipe Dream is that those skis on the sides will prevent the rider from leaning very much into a banked turn.

13. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

We are seeing are the highly edited success attempts. Can't speak to the last motorcycle video with the augmented cycle but I'm doubtful that he's starting from water. Most of this is testament to highly skilled young men taking brute power and doing amazing stunts with it. Much like x games or my personal favorite Nitro circus. Kinda hard to design and patent testosterone fueled power sport adaptations.

With that said yourbl drawing sherp looking vehicles, slow high volume tires even then they sit mid hub at best. Then the wind can move them around as much as the tires.

Local guid has a pair of sherps, said one time they decided to go across a much wider lake than the narrow bog ponds they usually cross. Said it did golden until a decent breeze picked up, said it was unnerving how much the wind dictated direction. Can't imagine the power it would take to launch a sherp from floating to skipping. Probably funny fuel dragster levels.

14. slboatdesing

Those SHERP vehicles are amazing. Video here.

These are all concerns, and need to be established through prototypes.

The Wateroller will float on water at about 10% of the wheels under water, to start out. As speed picks up, the wheels will start to aquaplane. The difference here between a boat supported by 4 water skis is that the rolling resistance is lower than the sliding resistance across water, the frictional resistance.

As for the wind, it all depends on reserve power - if the craft is travelling at 8 knots, an 8 knot headwind will be a problem, because the wind speed is a large proportion of the forward speed, however is the power required turns out to be less than for boats, and wind resistance can be managed with streamlining, the concept seems to be able to deal with headwinds.

There is a vessel that is designed to slide across the waves, adding rollers like a roller blade might improve the top speed of this thing, maybe the designers considered this option.

Here it is:
    British designers unveil Glider that can zip over rough seas at 70mph | Daily Mail Online https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3062286/The-superyacht-skis-British-designers-unveil-Glider-zip-rough-seas-70mph-without-spilling-drop-Champagne-cost-bargain-600-000.html

15. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

I don't think you understand the violent torque required to accelerate these things to skip. I'm not sure what it would take to turn big old balloon tires fast enough to go from floating to skipping I'm not sure if surface resistance alone is even enough to do that on water with big tires.

You linked to a swath boat I'm almost positive adding complexity of moving parts to it isn't going to speed that thing up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.