can lapstrake planked boats stay on shore for winter storage or more?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by urisvan, Oct 18, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Jaja, all the world is in a hurry.........................

2. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Folkboat

That boat is a bargain Richard , Nice !

Attached Files:

• tttt.jpg
      tttt.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
  3. apex1

apex1 Guest

I know, but I´m not the potential buyer..........

4. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

My favourite for 4 weeks now..............
    and the one I posted in the Dutch helpers thread.

The boat sits on the hard, easy to inspect.
    Has a Sabb Diesel, not easy to destroy.
    Mast is already down, good for the canal trip.
    Just needs to be inspected. And sure she will go for less than the 6.500.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Admittedly, I just scanned through the thread looking for key phrases and woods, but what I didn't see (which I may have missed) is the key element of this question. Is the planking plywood or solid lumber?

If the planking is solid lumber then leave in the water, haul annually for inspection and maintenance. I'm assuming traditional construction here, from the photos.

If the boat has plywood planking, then she'll store just fine on the hard, with a few cautions. Place stands under bulkheads or you'll easily pop open lap seams and block the keel. Plywood doesn't move nearly as much as solid lumber, but it does a little. It doesn't swell enough to make up for loose fasteners like solid lumber planking does, so if the fasteners are getting loose on the plywood planked boat, she'll get to a point where no amount of "letting her take up" will seal her leaks and she'll have to get some new fasteners. Often boats like this will have "goo" squirted into the leaking seams, but this doesn't work for long as the problem still exists (loose fasteners).

If the plywood planking has had polysulfide or polyurethane in the seams (when assembled) then she'll take to the hard better and longer then shellacked or painted seams.

Epoxy changes the whole equation. If either a solid planked or plywood planked boat is "properly" epoxied, then it can come ashore with few fears, because the wood is stabilized, as Alan and others have mentioned. Of course if the coating isn't complete encapsulation or has been breached, then you've got a whole new set of issues to contend with.

Sorry, just had to add my two cents.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest