can lapstrake planked boats stay on shore for winter storage or more?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by urisvan, Oct 18, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

In or near Istanbul it sits better in the water, than on the hard. But good ventilation of the boat is necessary.
    But that (as all others here) is just a general statement, there a too many unknown factors to decide that from a distance (through the net). And of course not every bay is the right anchorage! Remember the sunken Karaköy terminal, and the two stranded Coasters in Harem last winter.
    In which area are you?

Richard

2. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

i plan to store it near ayvalik(aegean sea), not in istanbul.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hmm, Aegean is another cup of tea, you´ll have much more marine growth and more saltspray there. Both can cause problems when the boat is unattended over very long times.

Let´s see what´s possible when we meet tomorrow.

Regards
    Richard

4. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

thanks to apex1

thanks a lot to apex for sparing his time for me.
    and met me to survey the boat.
    i want to share the conclutions that i made from this survey:

first of all, the deck had sucked plenty of water and has to be changed, this is a big trouble.

the hull is not covered and sealed with epoxy so its moisture content is not low. if the hull stay onshore for long periods and dry compeletly it will absulately detoriete as result of shrinkage.

to fix these problems; 1) the deck should be replaced compeletely:D
    2) dry the hull a little bit gradually(not too much, because in that case it will crack because of contradiction) and than seal the hull compeletly with epoxy

did i get you right apex?

see you

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Not completely Uris, I recommended NOT to apply Epoxy to such a hull!

To sum it up:

I found a Turkish built klinker boat of about 7,3 meter length, in a shabby and long time neglected condition. The Teak planked deck was completely shot. About 50 to 100 visible cracks, several swollen planks and loose sealing compound everywhere. I could feel the deck under my feet getting compressed against the frames, in several spots. A sponge. The house was worn and cracked, the deck / house sealing insufficient and crappy "repaired" (just some goo was smeered on). The deck / gunwale transition showed moisture and staines from rot. The Palm (a segment built mast) was once varnished wit ONE single layer of varnish that on the weather side completely peeled off. Though the asparagus itself seemed to be sound.
    After opening the foredeck hatch the well known aroma of rot was coming out and the upholstery underneath was wet. I went in and went out, it was´nt worth more. Rust on almost every metal surface, moisture, cracks, mold and mildew.

That was a very short inspection due to the fact that the proud owner of that "yacht" asks for 12.000€ !!! ( that is eighteenthousand american dolores mates)
    If she was for free I would have given her another two or three hours of survey, but I doubt that I would have recommended to take her.

The intended purchase will not happen I hope. In fact Uris has no place where to leave a boat in Istanbul, but thought instead he could put her on the hard in southern Turkey. Whithout a major restauration (which would be well above his skills), this boat will fall in parts within one year, when stored ashore.

My advice was (and is), to search for a much better boat at a much lower price in Europe and sail her down to Istanbul, where I can assist Uris to have a free anchorage. There he can regularely use and / or inspect the boat, sail her on the Black sea and Marmara sea. In te summer he can take her in a two or three days trip down south where he enjoys windsurfing too.

So, then, if any of you knows of a boat around the Folkeboot size (but probably with a bit more accommodation), let Uris know! Med would be the preferred location, of course.

Regards
    Richard

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

To that earlier question about hauling vs not hauling...

Only larger boats and medium sized boats being lived aboard (or within a short walk) ought to stay in the water year-round, since there are too many ways for things to go wrong---- other boats gone adrift colliding, slow leaks sinking the boat, aerators that suddenly fail with nobody knowing for days, storms ripping off covers, and on and on.
    While it is true that a boat kept year-round in water (especially salt water) in cooler climates usually has a longer planking lifetime, the chance of other problems occurring usually outweigh the benefits of stable planking.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Alan,
    we were talkng the south of Turkey here....................Ice?

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Oh. You mean I was projecting? Still, don't some icebergs make their way down there?

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Alan Alan, that seems to be a hopeless case..................
    The British Admirality and Spanish Navy do´nt allow icebergs to pass the Straits of Gibraltar! They bomb them away, you know....:D

10. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

hauling vs not hauling

i understand that , it is better to keep wooden boats on the water rather than ashore if you can(anchor in a a secure place and control it regularly) in colder climates. is it the same in warmer climates too? what is the effect of the climate?

(and apex of course i will not buy this boat i can be a fool but not as much as that. i listen to the captains' words:) ) and i would be very nice if i can buy a boat from europe and sail Turkey. i am sure that it will be better than ones that i can find in turkey.
    and it will be a nice trip also.

11. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Shipworms work non-stop burrowing into wooden boats. Up north, we don't see these problems too much but in warmer climates a wood boat sees more damage from marine borers. Wood boats in general do far better in northern climates. I would think it would be the middle climes where boats would do best wintering in the water, especially salt water. Others may have different views. I'm really only familiar with my own area up here in Maine, which gets a lot of cold and snow.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

The marine borers you find in more southerly oceans (though some in the med too). In the Bosphorus, Black Sea and Marmaris you do´nt find any, due to the low salinity. That has a disadvantage too, it gives rot a better chance than salt water does.
    You know, if theres no compromise, there´s no boat.
    But in this special case here, I would recommand to let a wooden boat sit in the water, rather than on the hard. The whole area here has noticeable to strong winds all year round, and high temperatures from April / May through Nov., that dries wood like a kiln!!!

To a new boat, bought in Europe.
    I made a quick search for boats in the 7 - 8 meter class and found some original Folkeboats and others well worth a look:

http://www.boatshop24.com/web/de/su...MAX=9&SORTORDER=1&lastshow=175&totalcount=263

That is a boat, known by a friend, in pristine condition and well able to be sailed away.

here some others:

http://www.boatshop24.com/web/de/su...MAX=9&SORTORDER=1&lastshow=225&totalcount=263
    http://www.boatshop24.com/web/de/su...LMAX=9&SORTORDER=1&lastshow=50&totalcount=263
    http://www.boatshop24.com/web/de/su...MAX=9&SORTORDER=1&lastshow=100&totalcount=263
    http://www.boatshop24.com/web/de/su...MAX=9&SORTORDER=1&lastshow=175&totalcount=263

So, ring the bell when you´re prepared.

Regards
    Richard

13. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

Ashore

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

??????????????

15. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

Richard, excuse me, i retract my comment, i posted in haste before reading the whole thread,