can anyone help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ir992, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ir992

ir992 New Member

hi my name is ian and i am currently attending maritime tech centre woolston doing my city and guilds level 2 in boat production, As part of my level 2 coursework i am required to prepare a detailed description of six traditional boat building methods the methods are as follows

hard chine
    clinker or lapstrake
    double diagonal
    cold moulded
    strip planking
    carvel

as for the text regarding these methods i am doing quite well my problem is in finding detailed cross section illustrations of these methods that clearly show how the planks for the hull of each of these fit together.

if anyone could provide any info as to where i could find any of these illustrations on the web it would be much appreciated

thanks kindly Ian :)

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Go to the Glen-L boat plans site and you can pull up their glossary and boat building methods that tell you how to build and shows pictures. stan

3. ir992

ir992 New Member

thanks stan have had a look at glen l designs and it has helped to give me a much clearer picture regarding certain methods but really need a cross section through the planking for clinker ,carvel,hard chine and strip planking and elevation illustration for cold moulded and double diagonal
    the attachment below will provide clearer idea of what im looking for.

10122007067.jpg

Thanks for all input
    Ian :)

4. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Is it the illustration you need or an understanding of the methods employed?If it is the latter,a trip to the library might be a good idea as there are lots of books that would be useful and you might be able to scan the illustrations as I have a lingering suspicion that there might be a power point presentation to compile.

5. ir992

ir992 New Member

I need the illustrations because I have to hand draw them for a report for traditional boat building methods these are not required as part of the course work but I thought that would show examiner that I have good understanding of what I'm talking about. Thanks all input helpful. Cheers ian