Calculating weight and displacement?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JordieS, Nov 15, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

JodieS -- crawl before you walk is the message here, I'll go one further before you crawl get comfortable with the crawling position. To do that, start where most every builder/designer /architect/engineer, start : kindergarten: --models--scaled-models--actual builds from designed plans. (assuming you have not already done so) By all means read and study but do it in conjunction with hands on and you will reap the rewards much faster and with far better understanding. One word of caution from this greying hands on worker, don't get so engrossed in the pleasure of building and sailing that time runs out to study and design. ---Geo.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Isn't that why all of us got into this biz, we just wanted to go sailing?

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Can't argue there--but it's all the outside jobs to support the habit, now if I had studied more like a good little boy and got my design credentials I could have built my own designs and really made a fortune :D

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

George, none of us are in this to make a fortune, nor do we. I know you're kidding to a degree, but the reality is it takes a long time just to learn, then you wait some more. My first commission was followed by the second a few years later, which is typical of designers I know. A commission every 3 or 4 years is enough to make you want to kill yourself or at least become a greater at Wal-Mart. You starve for a decade then you can eek out a living if you're lucky, in a design office or other wise "hooked up". I've never met a wealthy designer, though many well respected, which is more valuable in my way of looking at things.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

My good friend Peter Ball (may he R.I.P.), an NA, used to say "I only work to support my hobbies". You are right, none of us are getting rich, but we are having fun.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I was joking big time --as per my "outside jobs to support the love of boats(habit). Having said that I now (too late) wish I had studied design years ago it would have been a great asset combined with my naturtal gift of using tools. I think it's a great combination to design or the ability to re design (modify)the craft that you are building. The forum has made me much more aware and appreciative of this. ---Geo

P.S. Also much more frustrated at times now aware of what I don't know :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.