Caged propellers

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Landlubber, Mar 26, 2009.

1. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Caged prop, solution to solve regen/prop ?

A fast multihull like Provu a F40, is motoring 4/8 Knts with an electric or ice motor, but will sail up to 30 Knts, 15/20 being most common

Of course a VPP is THE solution but i do not think such prop is available for power under 10Kw, and price I'm afraid is stratospheric

With such a variation of speed, propeller will be bad on on side of use.

Can a ducted prop, under pitched be an help for low speed, bringing less total drag and vibration at very high speed ?

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

With a kort nozzle there is no need for 10% or 20% tip clearence.

The ring can be at the hull bottom.

10% down angle is 10% loss of efficiency FOREVER!

FF

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

FF is correct; build the nozzle into the hull to increase the wheel size as much as possible and for a 1.2m wheel I would make tip clearence no more than 1-2mm on a kaplan bladeform with a real good dynamic balance.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yes thanks fellas, I realise the nozzle prop has very littlke tip clearence, I actually work in a shipyard at present, but being Chinese, it is very hard to get anyone there that knows anything to be able to communicate effeciently.

That is why I asked the world at large, I see kort nozzled tugs and workboats, but very few freighters with nozzles.

I do tend to think that a fine sectioned section could certainly improve general performance as our top speed is 15-16 anyhow, and certainly do not expect to be doing that sort of speed much as it cost more than double a nice cruising 10 knots.

Thanks so much for all your comments

5. DMacPherson

DMacPherson Senior Member

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Thanks Mac, short and sweet, but certainly interesting info.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.