Building the Volvo Xtreme 40

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JorgenBeyer, Jan 12, 2008.

1. JorgenBeyer

JorgenBeyer JorgenBeyer

Hello. I am currently writing a big assignement in Materials and Production in school. I have chosen to write about the VX40 as it is very advanced buildt and an extremely cool boat. If anyone have any information about the actual building of this boat, it would be very helpful. i am looking for all the methods used, how many layers of fibre, thicknessess, suppliers of fibre, cores, resin systems, curing times, etc...
    And, obviously i have gathered a great deal of information already, so if anyone has any questions about this boat, i might have the answer:)
    happy times
    Jorgen

2. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

X Trem 40

1-The hull plug has been made by CNC system (don't know the company which did that part of the job).

2-The hull mould has been built by Heol-Composites at Trefflean France, The mould is made of carbon with infusion process, or another process using a layer of carbon and a layer of resin which is "solid" and is just like a big sheet of paper you put between 2 layers of carbon, then vaccum and heat.

3-The mould was made for Marström who produces the boat at the moment.

That's all I know.

Regards

EK