Building RYD-16.9 Rocky - Hull 21

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by John Theunissen, Aug 5, 2017.

1. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

Hi john. I honestly could not tell you anything about registering a new boat, I only buy used boats . I know in w.a you had to get a builders plate for a new build but I don't know what happens here.

2. John Theunissen

John Theunissen Junior Member

Greetings,
    I’ve enjoyed this phase of the build - the companionway hatch and drop boards. It might look simple but there’s some complexity in it, introduced by angles and having to take care in the sequencing of activities. Once again, I think I have built a little heavy. Designer Paul would not be pleased 4F72F27C-C077-41F7-9357-A376AB19CFEC.jpeg 135797BA-5485-4A02-9170-CC299B12B7B7.jpeg 631168F3-6802-4EE8-98DB-912810EBB220.jpeg

brendan gardam likes this.
  3. John Theunissen

Greetings,
    I’m hoping to make some progress over the end-of-year break. One of the goals is to finish the trim within the cockpit area - beading, wooden slats for the seating etc. Here are a couple of pictures showing the trim for the seat tops, not yet secured, but I wanted to see what it looks like.
    I’ve also decided to use a 24V electric outboard so have also been making the battery mounting structure that will be located under the bridge deck area, which is a handy position as it’s directly above the CLP of the hull. The motor I’ve chosen is a Haswing Ventura F, 160lb thrust, 2,5kW which will be powered by two 12V 140Ah AGM deep cycle batteries. They weigh 30kg each. The plan is to have a separate “house” battery, so all up 90kg of ballast. I’m guessing that with all this extra mass, the boat is not exactly going to excel in the performance stakes.

Attached Files:

4. John Theunissen

Greetings,
    Well, our Summer break has come and gone and not a lot of progress on the boat, but we had a wonderful time with my son and his wife in Perth.
    I’ve permanently attached and varnished the trim on the cockpit seats and installed the batteries. The boxes for the landing of the jib sheets were a little more challenging than I expected. The rudder blade has been constructed and shaped and I’ve clad the sides with fibreglass matting , leaving a little extra matting so that I can add thickened epoxy to the trailing edge. I plan to reinforce the the leading edge also with glass and thickened epoxy. More pictures to come later but here are a few that show the batteries in position and the port and starboard side boxes.
    Regards, John T.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.