Building My Own Pontoons

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jimith, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Google "One Ugly Boat" and see how he is bending his. Very innovative.
    Why, why, why, why, do people want to spray in foam, belo the waterline?? :confused:
    It's expensive, it isn't really water proof, it will "sponge", it is heavy & robs displacement / load ability, it makes repairs impossible.It reflects the doubt in the workmanship!
    If not welding the seams, (best), use 3M 5200 as a caulk, (yea, I know what it costs!).
    Here is a hard truth in boat building. "Floating ain't cheap. Do it right or not at all.
    CHEAP SINKS>

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Last year (or two) about this same time of year there were several "two-part" foam threads regarding pontoon filling.

I think one came with a warning that the foam may shrink after it hardens which could cause additional problems.

Somebody suggested a chemical/slippery bond breaker spray which could prevent the implosion of the pontoon once the foam shrinks. Yes, it expands at first, and then cures with age and shrinks.

The idea was the release film spray would allow the foam to shrink without taking the walls of the pontoon with it.

Also water and condensation may be able to form in the gap, plus the foam could rattle around in choppy waves making weird and disturbing noises.

3. jimith

jimith Junior Member

Easy there guys. I'm just goofing around. I just want to make a small pontoon boat, that will fit in the back of a 2 door Explorer, to put on a lake for about an hour or two. I'm trying to put it together with what I have around the shop. If it happens to leak, I used silicone between and on the seams, I'd like to have something in the pontoon to keep most of the water out until I get back to shore. I soaked the blue sheet foam under water for a few days and it didn't absorb any water. I sprayed foam insulation in a concrete sonic tube 2 years ago and it hasn't shrunk or deteriorated yet. Just looking to have some fun, and see if I can do something different.
    jimith

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

We take it personaly when a member drowns as a result of his project. :D
    SSend us a pic of the final "tuner dude" boat. You'll get something that will float for an hour or two at that.
    Your mixing your foams. The "blue sheet" is styrofoam. It IS water proof It just doesn't come in a can.. Much lighter than urethane spray foams, I'd cut & place the blue inside before I put the lid on.
    How are you going to steer/power this thing?:)

5. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

This guy had a plan & saw it through also.

Attached Files:

6. jimith

jimith Junior Member

Ted, my original posting explains how I will be placing blue sheet foam in between the bulkheads. There are other posting showing, what I think is quality work and design, and explaining how my testing went in my pool. The finished boat will be tested also. If you think I would go on a lake without a life vest on, your nuts. It is very interesting comparing my pontoons to the lawn chair on boxes. I would like to see how it should be done. Maybe you could direct me to some of your postings of the first, or other, boats that you have built from scratch. So I can see where I am making my mistakes.
    jimith

7. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:) OK, I see you are VERY serious about this. Thats good. It was a joke , , a light moment. Good luck buddy.
    NO insult intended. It really looks good from where I'm sitting.Best one I've ever seen!

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I applaud that he is "doing" and not just "talking" or "thinking", experience is the best teacher.

I've mentioned that the pontoon reminds me of aircraft construction. This has me wondering if there might be something to be gained by looking at traditional aluminum aircraft floats.

One name keeps coming up in a search, but they are not cheap no matter where you pick them up at.

Czech Aircraft Works All-Aluminum Floats
    http://www.sportaircraftworks.com/oto bin/floatsnew.htm
    [​IMG]

I have not yet found a cut-away or construction photo but will post one when I find one.:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.