Building Crossbeams for Trimaran Hulls

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by marciokiter, Dec 23, 2008.

1. marciokiter

marciokiter New Member

Hey everyone!
    I just bought a 24ft Hull and two outside pontoons to build a trimaran. I have the original mast, sails, rutter, etc... I unfortunately don't have crossbeams to attach the pontoons to the main hull... I was thinking of building somethign strong enough to withstand the constant compression and smashing of the boat in the water. I was thinking of constructing something out of a foam core with fibreglass around that... Would it be strong enough to withstand lots of pressure and weight. for pictures of the trimaran, check out : http://trimaran.bravehost.com I have uploaded some pictures on to there so you can kinda get an idea. This is a total project boat to see what we can come up with. If anyone could be of any help, it would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Like the guy on the picture hanging his teeth to dry out :D

8m is a nice size for a tri. I built mine only 5m500 and could kick my butt for it :D

First off, make some drawings to determine the relationship of the height of the the ama's.

Design the beams so they will look pleasing but they must be functional as well, ie the trampoline must be mounted etc etc. It's not just a matter of slapping some glass together. If you carefully plan it it is going to save you some frustration later.

Consider making the tri foldable instead of loose parts that has to be assembled.

3. marciokiter

marciokiter New Member

hey

yah thats me drying my teeth, hahaha... sun was in my eyes!
    so, u said u built one... u got the plans for it... or can suggest material and the plan to make it foldable. It would save us so much time mounting and dismounting. big headache off our shoulders... I have seen some of the f24 i belive they are... its a company that is known for their awesome trimarans and the ability to carry them around on a trailer due to the folding outside pontoons...

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Mine was made for testing a few things prior to start on a cat. So my tri is only an experiment and something I can play with. You can see it in the boxy fisher catamaran thread. It's damn ugly, so look past that.

Trailering is a defenate must in my opinion. I'd hate it if I have to go to the same place time after time after time, if it's trailable you can go anywhere with it. When the wheels hit the mud you continue by boat :D