Building A Trailer Sailer

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Frogman111, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Frogman111

Frogman111 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum and was looking for advice and help in choosing a design to build. I've never built a boat before, but am a pretty decent carpenter and handyman [I helped build my house], though basically a beginner to sailing again. I grew up in Rhode Island and sailed when I was in my teens, but it's been many years since, and very many landlocked miles removed. Now that my kids are in college and I have more time for a hobby, I'd like to renew that activity that I never got the chance to develop much of, especially when busy with family, work, and other commitments, etc.

Most of the sailing I expect to do is on inland lakes and large rivers where I can pull the boat on a trailer [I have a 4Runner with V8, 7000 lb max towing] for distances of 5 to 200 miles to the lake(s). My home is the western SD/ eastern WY area [blessed with an abundance of wind, but not water] but could also envision driving out to Puget Sound, the Great Lakes or possibly some coastal waterways to do some short-term cruising and camping. Basically, I'm looking to build something pretty versatile that can be easily towed, and used as a daysailer, but could also accommodate 2 or more adults fairly comfortably for a weekend trip or maybe even a little longer. Something probably 26 ft or less (??) and under 5,000 lbs. It also must set up quickly and be easy to sail, and can go in shallow waters... I'm also kind of intrigued by a cat ketch rig, although I have never sailed one before. Is there such a boat? Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew with this idea, but it's certainly not my first time, and probably won't be the last.

Any comments, suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The frogman

ps/ Has anyone had any experience with the Princess Sharpie 22 or 26, or the Belhaven 19 from B&B Yachts Designs? I am open to any suggestions.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sharpies have shallow draft, low weight, are cheap to build and can have limited but enough interior space.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Phil Bolger, Jay Benford and Atkins are designers who's work has addressed the shallow water cruiser and plans for real cheap. For the price of the book (not much, paper back) you get a full set of plans for a nice little cat ketch in Jay Benford's "Small Craft Plans" along with 14 others all with a complete set of plans. They range in size from around 8' to 18' in length.

The Weekender is a easy to build boat with some accommodations (small cabin) and a large following building, advising and modifying them. Its around 18' with a sister ship, the "Vacationer" being a bit bigger at 22' (I think) The Vacationer is a bigger project, more so then the extra length would suggest, but both are very easily built.

http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm this is a site where you can down load some free plans. Though dated, still sound and worth building.

http://www.boat-links.com this is site where you'll find a lot of info on, boats plans, builders and everything nautical.