Need help on Catamaran Design.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kharon, Oct 7, 2011.

1. kharon

kharon New Member

Hi Every1;

I am a last year student on mechanical engineering and as a class project have to design a catamaran form scratch. Well the problem being with that is i have no idea where to even begin.

I have looked everywhere for some research material and could only find Larsson's Yacth design. the book is good and all with some neat explanations but it doesn't involve multihulls. So this is my problem. The end result should have a;

Carrying capacity of 4 ppl + 100 kg of weight (this is as a baggage)

speed: 40knots (max)

how we achieve these is in our hands. I just cant let myself do a 2. rate design and i want this to be a good catamaran in the end.

So if any1 can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx

2. Sistrunk

Sistrunk Previous Member

Attached Files:

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I assume you need to design a powercat?

otherwise you'll find 40 knots a VERY challenging design criterium!

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

4. kharon

kharon New Member

Well i dont think my prof. considered that when he gave the assignment to us but why would it be a very challenging criteria? well in any case i am gonna check powercats now also. thnx

These are awesome ty.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Get some magazines and search the interenet. Look for cat's doing 40knots of the size you're looking at. Look to see if there are dimensions that are common. Then just sue the most common dimensions as your starting point.

Then draw up your basic GA from the dimensions. So you'll need to know the size of engines/jets/props etc...seats...and then work out what the weight of all this would be. The only part that would be tricky for you would be the structure weight.

If you work out the structure weight in steel, ally, compoiste, then then use the differnces in weight as part of your design of "why".

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A 40 knot cat is certainly doable but totally impractical in terms of common sense, fuel consumption, cost, durability and a few other constraints. If you prof. assigned this project he is not a shrewd boat person.

7. Sistrunk

Sistrunk Previous Member

Maybe he is very shrewd and we are simply overlooking his approach?

8. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Read the post properly folks 40 knots (max)

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Why is a mechanical engineer being asked to design a boat ? Are budding chefs asked to design dresses ? Seems a bit wacky to me.

10. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I beg to differ. There are economical very practical powerboats that have a wot of 40 knots. For example, http://www.glacierbaycats.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/GB2665_Yam150.pdf
    3 MPG cruise at 20 mph or 2.2 MPG at a 28 mph clip.

11. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I can just see a novice designing a boat like that......not !

12. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Yes, with an academic project such as this, the student needs to start by asking himself what criteria will be used to evaluate the final project. Sometimes you have to know the professor or get a look at past work that has gotten top marks. It could be in this "hypothetical testbed" 85% of the final mark will be based on aspects a ME is expected to be in his element working out, such as material properties, structure, basic stability and weight distribution, etc. and 15% on the aspects outside the normal curriculum. Does the school or the professor have a NA connection? How will your final result be evaluated?

13. kharon

kharon New Member

well this is a design class so everything is based on the boat. and about the NA connection none that i am aware of. He changes the final project every year this year it was a 3 wheel car and a catamaran. In the draw i go the catamaran. so we dont even have a past project that we can check out.

Well i think he just wants us to feel challenged.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.