Building a Riverboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Izzy, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Izzy

Izzy Junior Member

The Izabal Queen will use two diesels with gear box and propeller type propulsion. Paddle wheel will just be for looks. I'm new here so not sure what area of the forum to post in. I have some questions relating to rudder design etc. Looking for help on steering controls such as how to figure the torque in order to size the hyd. etc.

The vessel is 90' by 30' not including the paddle wheel at the stern. The work is about 70% complete and if you care to look at pictures go to www.izabalqueen.com.

Happy New Year!!

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I think part of the charm of one of these boats is that it does not look like a barge.

I'm sure you have done this on a budget and most people won't care what the hull looks like, just my two cents.

I grew up taking a ride on the Boblo boats every other summer growing up, so my opinion may be very different than the general public's.

Check out this ride in Lansing:

http://www.michiganprincess.com/virtualtour.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Izzy,
    Good pictures, thanks for posting them! I don't have any info about what you're asking about, but I'm wondering if you don't want some protection for your propellors and also bottom support for the rudders in an arrangement something like in the photo I attached. If there are logs, rocks, hazards etc. where you are going to run, it won't take much, with all the inertia you will have with a loaded boat, to mess up propellors and shafts or to bend a rudder shaft and lock them both up and leave you unmanuevarable. Otherwise, keep posting progress photos. Sam

Attached Files:

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Sounds like a good suggestion.

http://www.izabalqueen.com/Izabal_Queen.html
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will there be stairway access to the engine room or is it through the hatch as shown in the pictures? I trust this area will be well vented and underwater working gear traveled with to untangle things gone wrong below the waterline. I guess you could always call for a tow or a tugboat in an emergency.

Thanks for posting, looks like an interesting project.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

6. Izzy

Izzy Junior Member

Thanks to both of you for your interest and links to other projects. There will be another stairs leading down into the hull for access to the engines, generator, and storage of kitchen supplies etc. The hatch in the center of the deck will just be for installing or changing engines etc. Let me know if you have more questions.

Izzy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.