Installing track system

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dogridgekraus, Sep 8, 2014.

1. dogridgekraus

dogridgekraus New Member

Hi all,
    I have a 2001 Triton 189 DCF & was wanting to set it up better for walleye fishing. I was wanting to go with tracks but having problems seeing it through first.
    1st prob is a track is 3.5" wide,they come in different lengths.My boat has about 2.75" of flatness on that gunnels before theres a gradual radiouse going downward.To address that I had several ideas but keep running into walls.I thought king straboard would work though I would want to glue it to the track first as I found out it doesn't accept any adhesives.One of the manufactures(traxtech) could possibly custom build a track but may not want to due to the low volume of me just wanting 2 tracks.(be nice if they would) I want a "Clean install" not the edges of the track showing along its length of the gunnel. Anybody have any Ideas there?

I would like to be able to through bolt but have no to very limited access to under the gunnel along most of its length. I hate the thought of cutting a inspection hole along side in the middle of my desired track locations along side the gunnels just to get access.The though of it on such a pristine boat just makes me "pucker"! IDK what else to do though.
    Before I drill anywhere being a inspection plate or the tope of my gunnels I need to know whats inside. Ive called Triton over this & explained the scenario im in & asked for like a shop manual,detailed schematics.All they told me is that info is not available! Both the manufactures & misc.dealers told me.Im wasting my time trying to get them to help.They would just rather sell boats I guess & not worrey about how there customers are going to work on them! lol
    If I had the right info it would make this easyier. I cant start without it.
    Maybe all boats have the same basic design as far as wireing,steering cables & such.Im sure there all different in ways there ran under the gunnels.Gosh I wish I had xray vision! Cany anyone help me there? What about if the detailed info like id want is out there? I just don't think they wanted to deal with me as I cant believe a boat manufacturer could build a boat without any info like I asked for. Or would just throw it away after that modle is no longer in production.You'd think it would be kept for records.
    Im going to try & add some links below,To give anyone a better Idea of what im talking about:

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3113

http://www.traxstech.com/Mounting_Tracks.html

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=715146728521212&set=vb.100000776748114&type=2&theater

I sincerely thank anyones help!
    Marty

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.