building a private small yacht

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kuzea, May 17, 2008.

1. kuzea

kuzea New Member

hello everyone,

I'm a newbie in boat construction and I don't even have the required background - I'm actually a software engineer. But I have a general question:

how much would it take (time and money) to build a small private yacht?
    Basic requirements would be: diesel propulsion (max range up to 300miles), 2 persons bedroom, no extravagant luxury.

Thanks in advance,
    Nick.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

the important info is needed,,,size,,material,buildings available,or outside,how many people working on construction,interior materials,exterior materials,,what kind of boat,,recreation,luxury,pilot house,man,,,you aint even close to getting even a ballpark figure without at least that info,,and theres actually ALOT more,,but,,these would get ya alot closer.,,,,,,,sorry, but the price of asking a question,,is getting asked bout 100 more before ya get any kind of an answer,,,hehe ;)
    oooo,,,and welcome to the forum ;)

3. kuzea

kuzea New Member

thx;

I need a very rough minimum - considering the fact that I would have to buy the engine for, let's say, a 10m long 4m large yacht (materials - respectively the least expensive).

4. kuzea

kuzea New Member

PS: I have seen some 5yr old yachts in this category being sold in Turkey for 90,000€.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

How much you are willing to do? There's no upper limit but to give a "minimum" working hours I'd say 2000. If you have to learn the job by doing double it...
    Money? 10k/ton.. Again no upper limit..

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Kuzea, welcome to the forum! that's a helluva question!! What I'd do if I was you would be go away with a pile of yachting magazines and decide just what you want!! Adiesel driven double bedroom gives you a lot of scope!! Bit like saying "I want a big meal and I want to have eggs in it!" or "I want to drive a car from here to there". What your asking is "how long is a piece of string!" For your own sake do a little more research!

At a guess once you have this boat I doubt if you could use it anyway -contary to popular belief it's nothing like driving a car!!

Whilst I have every belief that you could build such a boat cheaply or even expensively (depends as Teddy says above how much your willing to do, and how much you want it!) at the moment your just playing!!

7. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I asked myself a similar question a few yrs ago. We knew after all the sh*t life had sent our way over the years there'd never be sufficient funds to buy a small trawler under 20 yrs old that didn't need tons of money to fix up. I did a lot of research on available boat plans and materials and came up with a plan to build a specialty boat in stitch & glue ply, fiberglass and epoxy. The design we chose, after considering a few others, Glen-L for instance, was the TW 28 from Bateau.com.

[​IMG]

This design is perfectly suited, IMHO, for a couple to comfortably cruise along the coast and inland waterways. It'll even fit under the bridges in the Fench canals if you're so inclined. We've discussed plans to lengthen her 30" with the designer and he doesn't see any problems with that. This will bring her to 30 1/2' and should end up looking something like this....

[​IMG]

Now lets talk budget. I've itemized every component, part, piece, material, equipment etc. in a spreadsheet. I've come up with three scenarios. If I set up a company and apply for tax exemptions and wholesale pricing from suppliers I can put this boat together for just over $50K US. Second scenario is what I've chosen, is selective buying (e-bay, auctions, flea markets) and bulk purchases from wholesales (for small discounts). This will put my build costs at about $65K US. The third option was to pay full retail price for everything which would add another $10K to my second option.

If things go acording to plan we'll start construction this time next year. The wife had a heart attack this Feb and we decided instead of selling our current boat this year we'd fix it up and have fun with it this year. Over the last year or so I've been picking up bargains on e-Bay for a lot of the lil' bits and pieces that go into a boat, thru-hull fittings, battery charger, galvanic isolator, searchlight, cleats, rudder gland, etc. for a fraction of retail, probably hovering around 50% of off the shelf price at the chandlery.

We're looking to produce a boat with a pretty high level of finish. My brother's a cabinet maker so the interior finish and fittings will be first rate. You can go for a "workboat" finish and probably shave near $10K off the construction of a similar boat.

These small boats seem to be popular in Europe. The designer of the second picture above is in France and he plans to start building one soon. One has been built in Turkey and another in Australia. There's two under construction in the US, one in Belgium, another in Turkey just getting underway and at least one on the drawing board in GB.

This is the one from Australia.

[​IMG]

This is the one that was launched in Turkey a little over a year ago. It has a much higher level of finish and was professionally built.

[​IMG]

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

8. rjakupi

rjakupi New Member

HI all,
    I am a newbie and I was wondering how much it would cost to built a trimaran 32-40 foot long. I want to build it with wood. Since thats the best supply that I can find at this moment (I live in Albania)

I am not sure if it would be good to build it with wood but I would try to keep it light. Also is there any special place where I can find design details.
    Thanks a lot.

9. safewalrus

Knotty, that's a lovely looking boat, in all its variations, ideal for pottering about canals, rivers and esturies - who wants to do anything else? With the chance of a sleep over if you stay to long or want to go slightly further afield!! I would say best of luck with the build but frankly I don't think you'll need it - your researched it so well it should (baring a few teeth grinding moments -we all have those!) just slide together reasonably easy!

To you other guys - to put it bluntly that's the way to do it! The internet is a wonderful thing - use it! A lot of the the fun of building and preparing a boat is the research part - it's what deams are made of! But they must be your dreams! The only way you can have your dreams is to do your own research etc. thats not to say you can't ask for help, you have done and theres those who will be glad to -but please remember that there are a lot of people who actually do that sort of thing for a living - don't expect them to help you for free and don't expect them to do it because they happen to be on this [or any other] forum!! They too have dreams! that's not say they won't many will help you on your way, but like Knotty Bouyz be reasonable!

Now get out and surf the net!!

10. kuzea

kuzea New Member

KnottyBuoyz, thx a lot for the detailed explanation and hints.

11. safewalrus

Kuzea, that your style mate, it is rather nice isn't it? Now your getting somewhere! Keep cit up and you'll be building before the year is out!!

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Oooooo Safie, seniority has changed you for the better, so good to see your caring and helpful side...

Best wishes kuzea, and drop by for a laugh, keep us posted in random Pictures or in your own gallery....

13. safewalrus

Now hang on Missy Lee that wasn't me that was my doppleganger -you don't think I'd be that nice do you? I mean it'd cause a hangover - do you mean heart attack - I know what I mean!!

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Is there a war?, or has the satellite fallen?, or some stupid dragged his anchor over the submaring cables? - where is the usual action?

15. safewalrus

he! he! fooled you! bloody well fooled me as well!